Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

401 - 420 of 439 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
So, got the old pump out and it came with a big surprise.... I wonder how that got in there!

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
Now that you found your zip ties, may be you will find the screwdriver & wrenches that went missing lol

Reactions: Gator1

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
Boy, I've had this truck since Dec 2002 took it to the dealer one time, got it back and rockers were noisy after a few miles so I pull the valve cover, and there's a rag in there getting chewed up by everything. So I pull the filter, I have one of those Scott reusable filters and there's red threads and crap from the rag in there. So I call the dealer to tell them about it, and of course they deny any wrong doing, but want me to bring it in to take apart and take pictures. lol right. I ended up replacing all rocker pedestal trunnions and stands due to heavy galling on the trunnions. Now I find a Zip tie in the coolant? They probably shoved it in one of the head passage and it took 10 years to work it's way out!!! FML

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #406
It for sure wasn't helping things. After taking mine apart the difference in quality compared to a Meziere is very apparent. I would bet all the auto parts stores are just cheap imitations of them. They look the same from the outside, but inside a completely different animal, and about 1 lb heavier! Hopefully I'll get the new one in place soon. I still have some fab work and welding to do.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #407 (Edited)
update...New pump, bracket, etc is now plug and play...
DSC02347.JPG
DSC02350.JPG
DSC02346.JPG

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
now you have root caused your overheating problem in 115*f temps! :LOL:
I forgot I also had a restrictor plate in, without it I doubt it would ever run hot. So, at this point really the only reason I'm changing pumps is for the reliability and 2 year unlimited miles warranty.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #410 (Edited)
Whew this was a bit of a plumbing nightmare! Careful thinking proceeding slowly over many, many months got it done right the first time. pump.jpg pump2.jpg
pump.jpg
pump2.jpg

·
Registered
279 Posts
Would it be possible to get a summary of the project?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Would this be an improvement for a towing setup?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #414
Test fired the new pump, it plugged right into the old wire harness. I can definitely tell this has more power, it's louder, and I can hear the 8 blade impeller roaring. Yea this is going to move some coolant. Going from a 20gpm to a 55gpm pump is supposed to be good for up to 900 HP.

·
Registered
279 Posts
A couple more questions:
How much improvement over stock with either electric option?
What ranges/conditions do you notice decreases in operating temps?
Any decreases in EGTs with the increased cooling?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #416
Most of the noticeable change was in throttle response, and MPG. That was the motivating factor, to get rid of the huge mechanical fan and all unnecessary ancillary components, and it did that very, very well.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #417 (Edited)
A couple more questions:
How much improvement over stock with either electric option?
What ranges/conditions do you notice decreases in operating temps?
Any decreases in EGTs with the increased cooling?
Also noted that under 80 deg temps I had a hard time warming the engine up and it wanted to run @ 170 to 180 deg on the HWY. So I added a restrictor plate to get it up to 200 that was with the small pump and a 1/2" plate in the thermostat housing. That same setup got hot in 115 F heat which told me I needed more pump or less restriction or both.

It will be hard to beat the OEM pump for towing I imagine, but I'm gonna try anyway. in a stock motor the scenario might be 180 degree difference. My approach is higher flow with less pressure.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #418
Had to re route fittings for a better connection! DSC02361.JPG DSC02362.JPG

401 - 420 of 439 Posts