Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a GN Quality Trailer. Seems to be a pretty nice trailer haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet though. I was wonder how much clearance you guys had between the gooseneck and the top of the bed and if you guys have ever had any close calls or clearance issues.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
lol... Yeah my brother took a trailer down a hill and crushed my tailgate and put dimples in the top sides of the bed on my last truck, so I would give it a good 8-12" clearance.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I agree. The best way i found is two get a helper. One person raise or lower the tongue while some one else stands back to check your level. Once it is leveled, check your clearance, then adjust according to your clearance. Once you are satisfied, tighten your coupler, then take it for an easy test drive with someone in the back. This seems overkill, but it will keep you from getting body damage later.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am going through the same situation... I bought a pretty nice trailer and converting it to a new work rig for my mobile oil change business and I am having clearance issues... 4x4 Dodge's sit up too high...
So far I ditched the 15" wheels with 225's on them and installed 17" wheels with 245's... I got about 4 inches of lift there...
Then I sectioned the gooseneck main beams and installed beams up in the nose of the trailer to keep the strength in the neck.
I have gone from 3" of clearance on level ground with the trailer riding level to 11-12 inches with the front of the trailer riding 1-2" higher in the front to account for the weight I am going to be adding as I finish the trailer out.
I would have lifted it with the axles but they are torsion axles and were welded on... I really didn't care to mess with it and I really like the way the new wheels and tires look on there. It fills the space a LOT better with out giving it the baby stroller look.

Oilguy

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I haven't measured yet but I would say I have about a foot. Thanks for the input guys:beer

·
Registered
866 Posts
My truck is a 4wd and has a lift on it. My buddies GN has plenty of clearance on my truck. I am going to order a custom neck on my next one because I want to be able to walk under it without bending over. I also am going to have a chain locker in the neck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts