Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dey took er jerbs!
1,741 Posts
The grid system is in the intake manifold. It heats the air as it passes through the manifold and is then forced into the cylinders. I'm not totally sure, but I think the glow plugs heat once the air is already in the cylinders. Also, I don't think the grid system runs once the engine is warmed up.

I might be incorrect on this, but this is my understanding.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You need to fill in your sig so we know what truck you have. I only know how my 05 works. The engine has a grid heater on the intake and a fuel heater in the fuel filter canister. Both are operated by two sensors, an ambient air temp sensor and a battery temp sensor. If both those sensors show thats its cold enough then they will heat the air and fuel to start the engine. Since it is known that an inline has always been easier to start than a V8 the Cummins does not need glow plugs. Hope this helps

·
Registered
435 Posts
:welcome:
The Grid heater in our cummins engines is a dual heating element that is sandwiched between the intake horn and the cylinder head, heating the air giong into the engine. it's powered by two large relays on the driver's fender, and is ECM controlled. when the ECM reads 55 deg. F or lower at the intake air temp. sesnsor (IAT) it energizes one or both of these heating elements, depending on how cold it is.

A glow plug system works much the same way only the heating element protrudes into the combustion chamber much like a spark plug.

hope this helps, any more questions don't hesitate to ask.:thumbsup
Eric.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
:welcome:
The Grid heater in our cummins engines is a dual heating element that is sandwiched between the intake horn and the cylinder head, heating the air giong into the engine. it's powered by two large relays on the driver's fender, and is ECM controlled. when the ECM reads 55 deg. F or lower at the intake air temp. sesnsor (IAT) it energizes one or both of these heating elements, depending on how cold it is.

A glow plug system works much the same way only the heating element protrudes into the combustion chamber much like a spark plug.

hope this helps, any more questions don't hesitate to ask.:thumbsup
Eric.
that about sums it up. my grid will stil cycle with temps in the 60's F. the grid heater will also cycle on and off even after the engine is started, hence the lights dimming and if the heater fans on high you will probably hear it slow down

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
welcome and in simplest form is like a toaster in the intake :thumbsup and eric with a glow pulg on most engines i have a precombustion chamber so it not really like a spark plug thats also why there injectos spray with less outward pattern and more downward, god thought u were a diesel mechanic =P

·
Registered
435 Posts
OK Clff, smart @$$.:T:

Yes, alot of engines w/glow plugs have precombustion chambers, but not all. (95 an up 7.3l p'strokes are direct injected w/glow plugs)

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
On a 3rd gen the wait to start light illuminates if the ambient temp, coolant temp, and intake air temp are below 66* F. Above that number the wait to start light wont come/stay on but the grid heater still operates if other parameters, can't recall.. but its mainly coolant/intake temp related are met...

Its a much better system than glow plugs. It heats the air being used to start the truck, not the air being forced out of the engine prior to the first combustion event.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts