Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

461 - 480 of 482 Posts

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
We do have an electric fuel heater that can be installed in the pump, you can put two of these heaters on the Titanium unit. The electric heater is only designed for a really cold start up. Say your water separator freezes, if you have the heater then you can flip a switch and thaw it out and be on your way. You can leave it on all day but it will not heat the fuel while the truck is running as the pump is flowing too quickly and the heater does not have enough surface area.

If you want to heat the fuel going down the road you can always run coolant lines to the "H" ports on the pump and have a ball valve to shut the flow off for the summer.
I would plumb the coolant lines, but its alot of work to do especially since the weather only gets into the 10's at night here, but its usually 40 by day time, my issues is starting up in the morning since the trucks is usually as cold as it is outside when i leave work.

Now these heaters don't produce enough heat to heat the fuel when its running you say? what about running dual heaters, one on each filter?

Yes these pumps are lifetime warranty as long as you own the truck and it stays on that truck. Which ever company you decide to go with please be sure to mail in the warranty card, it is less than $1 to do so and will save you a lot of trouble if anything should ever happen.
tell me about it, i lost my warranty card about 4 days after i installed the fuel pump:banghead:, my mom and g/f cleaned out my office and i never saw it again. I came back from vacation and couldn't find it, been two years and the pump is still running strong thank god!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Honestly if you are only getting down to 10 degrees at night you really don’t have much to worry about unless you water separator is full of water. Two heaters are going to produce more heat and over a longer drive it is going to bring the fuel temp up a bit. The reason they don’t heat fuel very well while the pump is running is because they are a probe heaters and the fuel is being pump at least 95GPH so the fuel does not stay on the heater for very long before it is pumped back to the tank into cold fuel. The only reason I would install one is for insurance, just in case one of the filters did freeze up solid. We placed one of the probes in a cup of water and froze it over night the next day it took about 4 min to thaw the cup out, so it works well for that.

If I was worried about the temp of the fuel I would maybe look into some kind of universal 110v blanket heater to stick on the outside of the fuel tank and plug in at night like you would your truck. Something like this is going to work better because the surface area is much larger and the fuel is not moving.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Honestly if you are only getting down to 10 degrees at night you really don’t have much to worry about unless you water separator is full of water. Two heaters are going to produce more heat and over a longer drive it is going to bring the fuel temp up a bit. The reason they don’t heat fuel very well while the pump is running is because they are a probe heaters and the fuel is being pump at least 95GPH so the fuel does not stay on the heater for very long before it is pumped back to the tank into cold fuel. The only reason I would install one is for insurance, just in case one of the filters did freeze up solid. We placed one of the probes in a cup of water and froze it over night the next day it took about 4 min to thaw the cup out, so it works well for that.

If I was worried about the temp of the fuel I would maybe look into some kind of universal 110v blanket heater to stick on the outside of the fuel tank and plug in at night like you would your truck. Something like this is going to work better because the surface area is much larger and the fuel is not moving.
is this something you sell form your website? is it a simple plug and play item? what does it cost?

·
Registered
314 Posts
We have the fuel heaters for our pumps on our website for sale.

The blanket heater we do not sell, it was just something I was thinking would work well for what you are wanting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The heaters may work to warm the pump initially, but another thing to remember is - as the engine warms up, so does the fuel returning to the tank and warming all the fuel up to a certain point.

I can watch the VP44 fuel temp on my Edge Juice & after the truck warms up, even at 40 degrees outside temp, the fuel temp is 95-105 degrees.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
The heaters may work to warm the pump initially, but another thing to remember is - as the engine warms up, so does the fuel returning to the tank and warming all the fuel up to a certain point.

I can watch the VP44 fuel temp on my Edge Juice & after the truck warms up, even at 40 degrees outside temp, the fuel temp is 95-105 degrees.
Yea, thats fine, I watch my fuel pressure rise, it starts out at 15 then rises to 17 by the time I get home, usually about an hour.

·
The Titanium has 3/8 npt ports.
Would there be any issues switching out the fittings to 3/8" x -8AN in order to run a 1/2" line from the tank to the FASS, then FASS to the CP3's? Any thoughts on cavitation(or any other issue you can think of) going from a smaller orifice to a larger one?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Would there be any issues switching out the fittings to 3/8" x -8AN in order to run a 1/2" line from the tank to the FASS, then FASS to the CP3's? Any thoughts on cavitation(or any other issue you can think of) going from a smaller orifice to a larger one?
The new pumps for your 06 would have half inch fuel line in the kit. You will not have any issues changing from 3/8 to 1/2.

·
The new pumps for your 06 would have half inch fuel line in the kit. You will not have any issues changing from 3/8 to 1/2.
I was asking about the existing Titanium pump I've got. I've had it for about 2 years now. I was told it has 3/8" NPT fittings. I'm not looking to purchase a NEW pump.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I was asking about the existing Titanium pump I've got. I've had it for about 2 years now. I was told it has 3/8" NPT fittings. I'm not looking to purchase a NEW pump.
Yes I know that. I was just stating th new Titaniums come with 1/2 fuel line so you will have no issues changing from 3/8 to 1/2 fuel line.

·
I'll be running braided stainless lines with AN fittings all over to clean it up. It's quite a mess with the dual pumps. I've got access to all the fittings I need, I just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be issues running the bigger lines off of the smaller fittings.Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have a fast 150 series. S/N 9082. It was on the truck when I bought it. It is rigged with the suction coming out of the stock suction, return spliced into the fill hose and the factory return to the factory return fitting. Now the problem:

It started last winter after my fuel jelled up, got new fuel in it, ran just fine. I then had a fuel flucuation from about 10 to 20 psi. Parked the truck and planed on looking at it in the summer when it wasn't 0 deg. 1 year later and only 20 miles put on the truck its doing it again.

currently I have new filters for the fass, factory filter, and the 2 micron cat filter that will be put on this weekend. I plan on ordering a new jeep liberty canister with a draw straw 5 installed.

I have read about others having simular problems in the cold and it being to restrictive of a filter, or the spring w/ball is stuck. I'm not going to settle for the 2mic filtratrion being to much, I will always run the cat filter. Can you give me more information on where the spring is located and is there any thing else I should be doing? One last question is what typical size hose came with that system, apears to be 3/8"

Thanks in advance for all the help!

bowz

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I have a fast 150 series. S/N 9082. It was on the truck when I bought it. It is rigged with the suction coming out of the stock suction, return spliced into the fill hose and the factory return to the factory return fitting. Now the problem:

It started last winter after my fuel jelled up, got new fuel in it, ran just fine. I tehen had a fuel flucuation from about 10 to 20 psi. Parked the truck and planed on looking at it in the summer when it wasn't 0 deg. 1 year later and only 20 miles put on the truck its doing it again.

currently I have new filters for the fass, factory filter, and the 2 micron cat filter that will be put on this weekend. I plan on ordering a new jeep liberty canister with a draw straw 5 installed.

I have read about others having simular problems in the cold and it being to restrictive of a filter, or the spring w/ball is stuck. I'm not going to settle for the 2mic filtratrion being to much, I will always run the cat filter. Can you give me more information on where the spring is located and is there any thing else I should be doing? One last question is what typical size hose came with that system, apears to be 3/8"

Thanks in advance for all the help!

bowz
My advice, I had a similar issue after I left my fuel heater on, replace the fuel line from fuel tank to fans with reinforced fuel line tubing from West marine.

I also had to ditch the stock fuel sending unit for a draw straw. When cut right it shouldn't cause any issues, with 1/4 tank syndrome.

If you want switch to 1/2inch tubing from the fuel tank to fass, in the end these switches fixed my fuel pressure issues.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would recommend changing the filters usually if there is a pressure fluctation most of the time it is due to a flow restriction to the pump. After you change the filters try pulling the fuel from a 5 gal bucket of diesel fuel to see if you continue to have pressure fluctations or if the pressure levels of. This will allow us to see that the pump is pulling the fuell and free from any restrictions that could be coming from the tank.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Will do Ashley! Thanks for the input atleast I know I'm on the right track. Yesterday my fp held perfect, it was also 32ish degrees. Still will replace filters and try the 5gal bucket trick.

Do you know of many people using a draw straw 5 inside there fuel canister, and them having the fass return back into te canister through the factory suction? Good luck with them? Mine is on order.

Bowz

·
Registered
576 Posts
What's the best system for my 1990?

Sent from my refrigerator, crazy right?

461 - 480 of 482 Posts