Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 62/68/12 SXE gated T3 that is a drop in for a 2nd gen that i bought for my VP truck but ended up selling it and buying an 06. I plan on staying with stock fuel for now. I am wanting to do a second gen manifold at the same time, i know its not needed but if nothing else i want it for the sound.
Would this turbo be worth running on the CR or should i sell it and buy something slightly bigger?
I use it mainly for a tow rig/daily when nice/for play. I only tow right around 8k usually but when i take the crawler down south through the mountains i also dont want to be glued to the egt gauge.
I am thinking i want to buy a t4 when i get a 2nd gen manifold. If this turbo would be good for this should i change the exhaust housing to a t4 or keep the gated t3 and get an adapter?
Power Driven Diesel has a video where they put their drop in 62 on a 3rd gen manifold got pretty good results. Just curious what people think if a 62 is enough or leaving something on the table with stock fuel because it seems a good amount of people use bigger like a 64 or 66. s464 is another option im looking at but seems like most of the experience ive read is with a 6.7.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
That would be an excellent turbo for your application, just be advised that you’re going to need to buy some plumbing parts to get that 2nd gen turbo to fit on your 3rd gen. you won’t get much out of an upgraded turbo unless you have the extra fuel to take advantage of it via aftermarket tuning. Don’t need bigger injectors for that turbo, but just increased fueling and the transmission to support it.

T4 manifolds will flow more on the top end if you have a turbo hot side that flows considerably enough to match it. For under 700ish hp you don’t need such a turbo, and therefore not a matching T4 manifold so just be honest with yourself with where you want your power goal to end up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My reasoning for a T4 manifold would be just for future turbo choices and not having to buy a manifold again if/when i go bigger.
Would it make sense to swap for a T4 turbine housing to match or use what i have with an adapter?
If i was to swap would i need a gated T4 housing?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i have contacted firepunk and DAP(where i bought the turbo) with no help on the questions above. Im either thinking find a stock 2g manifold to run with what i got, or buy a t4 manifold and a t4 housing .83 or .91, and maybe have slower spool? but potentially have a better set up if i plan on switching turbos or compounding the 62. Any insight or experiences would be very helpful

2,539 Posts
I have a 62/68/12 SXE gated T3 that is a drop in for a 2nd gen that i bought for my VP truck but ended up selling it and buying an 06. I plan on staying with stock fuel for now. I am wanting to do a second gen manifold at the same time, i know its not needed but if nothing else i want it for the sound.
Would this turbo be worth running on the CR or should i sell it and buy something slightly bigger?
I use it mainly for a tow rig/daily when nice/for play. I only tow right around 8k usually but when i take the crawler down south through the mountains i also dont want to be glued to the egt gauge.
I am thinking i want to buy a t4 when i get a 2nd gen manifold. If this turbo would be good for this should i change the exhaust housing to a t4 or keep the gated t3 and get an adapter?
Power Driven Diesel has a video where they put their drop in 62 on a 3rd gen manifold got pretty good results. Just curious what people think if a 62 is enough or leaving something on the table with stock fuel because it seems a good amount of people use bigger like a 64 or 66. s464 is another option im looking at but seems like most of the experience ive read is with a 6.7.

If this is your 1st common rail Cummins I would recommend finding a good used aftermarket T3 ex manifold and drop that turbo in and see how you like it.

Plus custom ECM tuning for your 2006 is highly recommended. You likely have some kind of gauges already.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been keeping my eyes open for a used one havent found any decent deals yet.
Yes i have gauges, and it has a single efi live fleece tune right now

·
Registered
42 Posts
I recently installed that same turbo in my '04, drop in for 3rd gen form AGP. I absolutely love it I have a 6 speed truck. I'm running firepunk UDC tuning.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! havent heard anything bad about it. Do you tow with it?
Now im wondering if i do a .83 T4 since i just pulled the trigger on a good deal on a used SD T4 manifold. Or run an adapter, and ive read might have a problem with the shock tower with the gate

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't tow heavy, I tow a 26ft enclosed snowmobile trailer that weighs about 8k. So far I think I actually am spooling faster than stock with the tunes I'm running. My old turbo was bad, so maybe not a fair comparison.

Every person I talked to told me to go with a larger housing, I didn't listen, and I don't regret it so far!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s good to hear my gooseneck is usually around that weight but might be going a little bigger in the future.I was reading another thread that the guy ran a .91 with a 6 speed and loved it as well. Maybe it’s all subjective haha and trans proboblly effects that too. Just from watching pdd videos on the turbo it seems like they really like the .70 the best and it shows in their tests but supposedly can tune around a bigger housing with tuning

·
Registered
42 Posts
Even running stock tuning this turbo drives like factory. As a test, I have done a few pulls in 4th and 5th starting at about 1200 rpm. Doing this (yes I know it's hard on ) I can have 10psi before 1500rpm (firepunk tuning). Not sure if it was because my 341 was on its way out, but the holset didn't come on that early!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think my 351 is around 10psi at 1700ish rpm but thats with an auto to give you an idea. This turbo is sounding pretty good, i like the gearing/ tire size of this truck alot better for towing. My 2nd gen on 34s was like 1600rpm at 70mph and unless it was in flat country it got hot goin up hills pulling, i tried turning off overdrive but then its over 2k rpm which proboblly isnt as bad as i think but cooled it down fast. Thats when i wish i would have went with a 6 spd

1 - 13 of 13 Posts