Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i don't know where to look for this so i'm posting if i run a p7100 on a 24 valve can i get rid of the ecm or does it still need it why i'm asking is because i want a mechanical diesel in my project like a 12 valve or 6.2 but i can get a 24 valve cheap any info would be much appreciated thanks

·
1ST GEN
15,573 Posts
If you swap to a P7100 pump you will not need the PCM.

i want a mechanical diesel in my project like a 12 valve or 6.2
A 6.2 :eek: I would run a 454 before I would use a 6.2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so when the pcm is gone after the p7100 swap it is no like an old 12 valve just a few wires to make it run then

·
1ST GEN
15,573 Posts
Yes with the P7100 swap all you need is power to the fuel shutoff solenoid or what ever the P7100 uses to control fuel.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I have not done this but from what I have read you will also need a different lift pump than the stock 24 valve VP44 lift pump (doesn't everyone?). The P7100 likes higher input pressure than the VP44. The camshaft in your 24 valve engine is probably missing the lobe that operates the mechanical fuel pump the 12 valve P7100 engines have.

Investigate the cost of the conversion. From what I have read it is not cheap. By analogy, think what it would cost you in outfits if someone gave your (hypothetical) daughter a free naked Barbie doll.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
motor

ya i was looking at the kit last night all in all in might be cheaper to not get the cheap 24 valve and just find a 12 valve with a p-pump on it already with the 24 valve and kit cost i would be in the 4000 range i can find a 12 valve for 2000 i was just wanting my cake and eat it to 24 valve and p-pump but i have read the 12 valve flows almost as much air as the 24 valve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts