Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, two days ago to wife finally gave the go ahead and start building the processor. We were going to spread it out over a month or two to avoid using the credit card as much, but prices are soaring, so we might as well limit our losses and get it started. I just have a few questions for now.

First, what filters are you guys using? I was looking at the Goldenrod fuel/water separators, and fuel filter (10 micron). Will this be adequate?

Second, how are you transferring your fuel from the processor, to the washer, and then to the drier.

Third what are you using to transfer the bio from the storage containers to your truck?

And fourth, where do you buy your titration equipment/chemicals?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but those are the big ones for now.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
First, what filters are you guys using? I was looking at the Goldenrod fuel/water separators, and fuel filter (10 micron). Will this be adequate?
Filtering media(on trucks) should be stratapore if your going to run highblends. On the processor you can just use two, in series filters. Like a 10 and a 1 or 2 micron. If your process is solid(and your processer as well) I would not worry about a fuel water seperator.

Second, how are you transferring your fuel from the processor, to the washer, and then to the drier.
Plumb it in. Your main pump should have a cross on it. It will look like this:

1 to the pump
2 from the methoxide tank
3 from the reactor
4 From your Oil pretreating tank

On the pump, on the upstream side, put a Tee (preferably a wye if you lucky enough to find them) in and valves. On the run of the Tee you will have that opened (and the other closed) for processing. When you’re ready to transfer to the wash (or settling) tank just close the one valve and open the wash tank valve and fire up the pump. One thing to take into account will be how much static biodiesel you will have left in the system. Do a dry run with water and see how many gallons to start with vs. what you end up with. Also if your plan on using the processor(waterheater style) for mixing and settling, it would be a good idea to use KOH opposed to NaOH, due to its glycerin hardening properties.

With a series of valves at each leg, you can control where and what the flow is doing. It would be wise to buy a pump with enough balls to do some decent turblent mixing(and move decent GPM's) People use the HF/Northern Tool pumps and they work but I would get a "decent" one.. in the 100-300 dollar range where rebuilding kits/spare parts are plentful. Your relying on that impeller to mix the methoxide in with yout oil.

Third what are you using to transfer the bio from the storage containers to your truck?
You can have barrels or a tote. Barrels are a bit of a pain cause you gotta plumb up a pump and 50 gallons can go pretty quick. A tote would be more ideal. I have a tote with the main 1" valve plumb'ed up with 1" fuel tranfer hose and camlocks. I have a pump mounted on the side of the unit that directly connects to it. You could do the same but your going to need to drop about 150-300 for a good quality, biodiesel compatable pump. It will largely be determined by how many GPM you require/want.

And fourth, where do you buy your titration equipment/chemicals?
Any lab place will have what you need(interms of equiptment) I think I bought all of my from Homesciencelab.com or something to that effect. Were getting all of that stuff listed up on the website and it should be ready to rock in a few days. As for actual Chemicals, I have an account with Ashland Oil and I buy for me and other people local to me. Its all a group by and there isn't any profit being made. Its just fellow biodieselers helping each other out, in getting cheap chemicals.

I can assist you further but that should get you going. We can spec pumps for your processer and lots of other things. As I said, this weekend will be when all of the biodiesel stuff goes live.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sciulli, that's what I was looking for. Unfortunately I have already bought the pump from HF, but I'm starting off small for now. We are currently looking for a new house and money is a bit tight for now. Once we move and settle in, I'm going to look into upgrading pumps, and possibly acquire a tote. Also, what brand of filters are you using? The only one's I've seen so far are the goldenrod 10 micron. Are the 6.7s running stratapore filters from the factory?

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I have regular diesel fuel filters. Ones a 10 and the others a 1. I have them inline. Ones a fleetguard and the otehr is a CAT i found that was all dented up for the cost of Free. We took our Firetruck out for service and I was shootin the breeze with a service writer and they were unloading a truck... dropped a box and one found its way home with me. To my knowledge no, being that cummins states that you must change to the stratapore media if you wish to run B20 blends. Take your filter and go to a truck service center. I know Detriot Diesel palces have fleetguard filters, so you can problay swap it out there. You can dig around on cumminsfiltration.com and find the number yourself and order one. I'm going to be getting a new truck within the next few weeks and I will just strip the fuel system off an slam an Airdog on there. They have the stratapore media as an option.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hey Sciulli how are ya...I was wonderin what you think of the appleseed processor...seems kinda fool proof to me but? I am willing to invest but I gotta know what I am building is gonna work..Thanx G /IAFF 142 London, ON

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Appleseeds are great, I used one before I got the automated job. Much better than anything made from plastic you can buy. Depedning upon your skills will determine how much hands on time you have. Some pople can make some pretty cool processers. The good side to all of this is that you learn the process and can tweek and(speed it up) were required.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up two goldenrod fuel filters from Tractor Supply today. One's the water filter, and the other is the 10 micron fuel filter. After I bought them I saw they said do not use with B100. Is anybody having any problems with these filters?

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: Good info on this thread....:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I picked up two goldenrod fuel filters from Tractor Supply today. One's the water filter, and the other is the 10 micron fuel filter. After I bought them I saw they said do not use with B100. Is anybody having any problems with these filters?
There not biodiesel compatable becuase of any number of reasons. The main one is probaly the filtering media is not ment for biodiesel. By this i mean, yes it will do its job, but it will not have the life of a specific alternative fuels filter would. Other than that seals could be made from compounds that have materials in them that biodiesel will degragrate over time. Typicaly its way cheaper to buy those types for the processors but you will need to replace them more often. If your filtering inline you should have a good solid pump, because I have a GPI 10 GPM and its slow as heck. I'm looking at buying a 19GPM pump, to help speed things up.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Bio Appleseed

Appleseeds are great, I used one before I got the automated job. Much better than anything made from plastic you can buy. Depedning upon your skills will determine how much hands on time you have. Some pople can make some pretty cool processers. The good side to all of this is that you learn the process and can tweek and(speed it up) were required.
Thats what i thought a kind of grass roots education on the whole thing..cheap fuel can never be bad but blowing fry oil all over the shop is a big no no according to my wife...Hands on time is ok as I work the 24 hr shifts at my firehall...makes for plenty of time off..Thanx for the input!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info on the filters. What are the typical filters being used? I'm having trouble finding a one micron filter. I have some at work, but they are for water filtration. Would those work?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm just curious as to what people are using for filters. The only thing I've found is that everybody recommends a ten and one or two micron filters, but so far all I've found is the ten micron.

WHAT FILTERS ARE YOU GUYS USING???????

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Racor sells a spin on that filters to 2 micron. The shop I take the truck to sells them and they seem pretty well built.

Racor Diesel Spin-On Series Filters / Water Separators

Eugene
thats what i installed in my engine bay of my truck a racor spin on series without the primer bowl, and with a coolant heated head for the winter. i currnetly run a 10 micron in there and i have yet to have any problems, has a plug for the water sensor, and has another port for a 12V heater. its big enough so that i dont have to change it for a while. and i got it for 30 bucks bc the shop had it on their shelves and didnt want it.
Racor Diesel Spin-On Series Filters / Water Separators

on my processor i was running the Tractor suply filter but the cartrilege was dead after 2 batches so i run a baldwinn setup this weekend, a 10 micron fuel water sep, and a 2 micon fuel filter.

·
Free parts distributor
5,078 Posts
What kind of pump are ya'll using for the methanol and catalyst mixture? Also, guy i work with says he uses the little "piss cups" like for a drug test to do his titration test and they work great!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
a 1" clear water pump from harbor freight works just fine, Also a mason jar is what I use to do all my testing.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll have to give them a call tomorrow for their 2 micron filter. Any idea as to the price?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts