Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a black maxx in my truck, and I can see on it when it switches gears and such. So lately in the mornings when I first start driving when it gets to 5th gear and should switch to 6th the motor just revves really high and the rpm's run up. But once I take my foot off the gas and the engine slows down a bit it will go right into 6th once I get back up to speed. Is this a transmission issue or something else.

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,491 Posts
On cool mornings, until the trans gets up to some operating temp it will not lock up the torque convertor nor shift into 6th very well. I drive about 2 miles at about 45 until it warms up enought to lock up and go into 6th. (one of the good things about my PMT gauges... Transmission status.)

·
700hp Club
2,196 Posts
That is true dad, but that is not his problem. If the RPM's are climbing and the truck is not going anywhere when it should be going into 6th then the plates are slipping, unfortunately i know all too well this fact. Waller, start saving for the new trans, it's only a matter of time now before you lose 5th and 6th.:banghead:

Reactions: dad2bike

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was definently my fear....So if the tranny does decide to take a crap how much am I looking at spending I know its around 5K. I just hope it doesnt happen anytime soon, any kind of time frame I am lookingat for this to occur and what tranny should i get to prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That was definently my fear....So if the tranny does decide to take a crap how much am I looking at spending I know its around 5K. I just hope it doesnt happen anytime soon, any kind of time frame I am lookingat for this to occur and what tranny should i get to prevent this from happening.
Turn down the black maxx and take it easy once its starting to slip its only matter of time before it goes out completely. I would look into the suncoast tranny if it were me lots of good reviews with the 500+ tranny. :thumbsup:

·
700hp Club
2,196 Posts
Turn down the black maxx and take it easy once its starting to slip its only matter of time before it goes out completely. I would look into the suncoast tranny if it were me lots of good reviews with the 500+ tranny. :thumbsup:
:agree2:
Take the tune back to stock hp level and take it easy, it depends on how hot the clutches got and if the friction material started to come off, my first trans lost the friction material right off the plates and bounced around in there until i didn't even have first gear. If your lucky no major damage has been done yet, but if you are slipping like that it will continue to do so, just take it easy until you can put a suncoast/goerend/napc trans in, and do it sooner than later or you will end up stranded...

·
Banned
156 Posts
A lot of my customers have experienced extended transmission life with our tcm tuning but I agree that it sounds like the plates are slipping. The above suggestions are very good and the recommendation for transmissions are the same ones I would have suggested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts