Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am in the middle of a Getrag rebuild and I cannot get the bearing race out of the unput shaft. I welded a bead around it with a MIG welder in an attempt to shrink it, no luck, so I welded a shaft across it and went to town with the slide hammer. Can't budge the sucker.... anyone have any tips on this?

Also, anyone know where new snap rings for the Getrag can be purchased?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
what race are you refering to

Are you talking about the pocket bearing race between the input and mainshaft if so the race is the input shaft

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that sounds like what I am talking about. But how do you remove the pressed in race? I can see its pressed in, but can't budge the darn thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update for folks that may find this in the future.

The race seems to be part of the input shaft. I talked to the outfit I purchased my rebuild kit from and he was pretty sure the entire input shaft is replaced when that race is bad. Makes sense as even after cutting it I cannot get it out. I can't even see a division in the metal in my cut. Seems to be all one part.

Kinda sucks. I don't know why they would make a part like this......

·
Registered
763 Posts
I did not replace my input shaft and have had some vibration ever since I rebuilt the getrag. This is the only issue and i try not to lug it to stress things and cause a lot of wear. If I ever have to take it apart again I WILL replace that shaft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts