Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bad G360 4x4 trans and have found a G360 2WD trans for a decent price. What needs to be swapped from the 4x4 trans to the new 2WD trans? Would it be just the tailshaft housing or the tailshaft itself, also? Or even more than that?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ha, Ha, I was hoping that someone had answered your question. Were in the same boat.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,048 Posts
The output shaft is different between the two trans.

If you go to swap shafts make sure you have a FSM for the proper setup of the trans.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The output shaft is different between the two trans.

If you go to swap shafts make sure you have a FSM for the proper setup of the trans.
You wouldn't happen to know the spline count on the 2wd output would you?

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,048 Posts
No I don't know the spline counts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'll get a FSM ASAP. When counting splines do you count the peaks or the valleys? I'm thinking peaks, but still not sure. I'll count and let "cummins_chevy" know..... On that tail shaft are all of the gears pressed on? How do you go about getting them off so you can change from 4x2 to the shorter4x4 shaft, or will the FSM tell me?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't know the spline count for the 2WD, but the 4WD output shaft is a 29-spline.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I read somewhere very recently the 2wd mainshaft/output shaft is 29 spline as well. Don't buy a complete 93 FSM. Just have someone email you the Getrag rebuild manual in pdf. Will be all the info you need. It's a complete tear down for both transmissions. Might as well order a set of bearings, synchros and shims for both the main and countershaft while you're at it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, the pline count for both 4x2 and 4x4 getrag versions are 29. It's the length that makes the difference. Just counted em and had to take off my shoes. The 4x is shorter by an inch and a half or so. If there are any kind souls out there who have this "schematic e-mail" and would feel generous enough to send it to [email protected] I would be very appreciative. I don't think my out put shaft and maybe the whole cluster is any good, where can I get a new one? (4x output shaft) I kinda had a problem with my 5th gear welding itself to the shaft along with the baring next to it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I got some parts coming for the old mans rag from this place

Talk to Terry

Manual transmission parts gears

PM me your email if you want the getrag manual

1 - 10 of 10 Posts