Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I'm taking off my old exhaust manifold and there are 2 bolts that are stripped I can't get anything to catch on it...does anybody know of anyway to get it off that isn't hard???

Thanks!

·
Registered
293 Posts
drill it and ez-out it..:thumbsup

·
Registered
228 Posts
Are the bolt heads rounded?

·
Registered
231 Posts
weld socket to it or something. I always get stuff out this way. The heat helps it too. Exhaust manifolds basically freeze the bolts in place so I doubt easy out or something that wont grip like crazy will work, good luck

·
Registered
228 Posts
:agree2: :popcorn:

·
Registered
273 Posts
get a twist socket . thay work great. any parts store should have them or try sears, or snap on tools. it has teeth that grab the bolt the more you turn the more it grabs. good luck

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I am assuming you mean the heads are stripped (rounded) and not the threads.

The thermal cycling (swelling and subsequent contraction of the bolt threads) of welding a nut to the head often loosens the threads and makes the bolt come out more easily as well. Be careful of spattering steel and slag.

I was given a set of the twist sockets that Mike UZ mentioned. I have never had to use them but they look like they would work.

Sadly, I don't have a set of right hand twist sockets so I could not reuse the round headed bolts. :lol3:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts