Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently have a stock 12v with exception of #10 fuel plate...to get more power what could i add to get more hp and torque without causing other parts to fail

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i read that already....the first day i signed up...but thank you. u helped out alot man.

did i ask how to make it smoke...NO I DIDNT. just wanting to know a little info such as gov. springs or something of that nature

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just want someones input witch to do...bigger injectors/ gov springs or something else. which works better

·
Registered
130 Posts
That article has great info on just about any modification you could do and how to do so without destroying your drive train in the process. Maybe you should re read that article. I'm not trying to be a jerk but based on your question that article will tell you about everything you need to know. And I realize you didn't ask how to make it smoke. I can in fact read.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It also goes through a step by step on what modifications to do and the recommended order in which to do them.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a 160 pump as well and one of the best things I did before installing injectors was a 4k gsk, timing and reading a $hit load on afc tuning. Of course gauges before anything.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
While I also encourage you to read the beginner's thread, (because you wouldn't be asking this question if you had) I will give you a couple tid-bits.

Get BOOST & EGT gauges.

The fuel plate setting (forward or backward) is more telling for HP level than the # of plate itself.
And a #10 plate fully-forward would provide enough fuel (power) to smoke your stock clutch.

You never mentioned where your fuel plate is set. so???
You could try sliding it all the way forward and see if your clutch slips in 4th gear WOT. That's usually where people notice slippage first.

You don't need injectors or any other fueling upgrades that will increase your MAXIMUM fueling, without the need for a beefier clutch. A GSK won't hurt your clutch.

So what you should do is a 3k or 4k GSK (I like the 4k for overall quick response and more sporty feel from 1000-3000RPM.
Since you have a 5-speed, you should also upgrade the EXHAUST valve springs to HD springs (60# over stock) if you're planning a 4k GSK. The reason being, you can float an exhaust valve with heavy boost and high RPM's (over 3300RPM.. some say 3500.. no telling for sure).

If you haven't installed a boost elbow (they're like $25) you should. That will allow the stock turbo to build like 35PSI of boost instead of around 20PSI stock WG setting.

Other than that, read read read and save up for a clutch & bigger turbo so you can start thinking about injectors. Otherwise, most worthwhile upgraded injectors will be too much for your stock turbo.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...ssion/314312-beginners-thread-read-first.html

And just in case that doesn't work, just peruse the first two pages of the 94-98 performance section. In that first two pages, there's about 50 threads like yours. Probably 30 with the same title!!!

And if you can't read those, this is the website for you:

Hooked on Phonics | Learn to Read with Award-Winning Educational Programs

Welcome to the forum, and don't forget: our trucks use premium. Not that low octane stuff!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Well, algae eater nailed it as usual. if you need more info, try posing your question in a different way. More details asked gets more details answered. If all else fails, read this.

P.S. You're the first person in this thread to utter the word "smoke," so don't get yer panties all bunched up, he was trying to help you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This forum is very helpful place and I have learned a ton from a lot of you and really appreciate it. But you guys who can't wait to give somebody for asking a question are pathetic. I'm sure you all get ran over in your real lives and only can stand up for yourself on the internet to make yourselves feel better. If you don't want to give the guy an answer then don't but shut up giving people , it's not necessary. jmho

Reactions: BoostedRam

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
The way I figure it... 90% of guys coming to this forum want the same thing.
They want their Dodge truck to drive a bit more like it SHOULD from the factory.

That's why Nick (12VEG) took the time to write-up the Beginner's Thread.

The sooner the newcomers realize that everybody goes through the SAME woes after buying their first, STOCK 12-valve (if it's been *well* mod'd by previous owner, they never come to this forum because it drives like it should).

All anyone ever needs to do is 1. fuel plate, 2. gauges, 3. boost elbow, 4. GSK.

Then comes intake (BHAF is best solution) and exhaust.

If you have an automatic, next usually comes 5. TC and 6. Valvebody (or shift-kit, like a DTT).

With a manual, the clutch can take a bit more than the stock TC on the auto... but it won't be far behind, so Valair would be the place to call for a better clutch. I am not a manual guru, but from what I've seen, Valair trumps the other companies out there for price/value, warranty and CUSTOMER CARE (which is most important)!

So point is: if everyone just did those simple mods, that'd probably be enough to make them happy driving their truck... if the slippery slope of performance sucks you in, then it's time to really start reading because it becomes a Pandora's box at that point.

Reactions: torqmonster

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
This forum is very helpful place and I have learned a ton from a lot of you and really appreciate it. But you guys who can't wait to give somebody for asking a question are pathetic. I'm sure you all get ran over in your real lives and only can stand up for yourself on the internet to make yourselves feel better. If you don't want to give the guy an answer then don't but shut up giving people , it's not necessary. jmho
Awwwwwww sheesh mom, we were just havin a little fun....

Everyone gets flamed on here from time to time, and here, it's really not that serious yet.

And for the record, the OP got a bit defensive after one person suggested the beginners thread, that's all. This isn't worth pursuing any further, let's just help him out when he asks his subsequent well thought out follow up questions......

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Double-post (DAMMIT!!!) :banghead:

Reactions: 12VEG

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
The forum is misbehavin' bigtime and pissing ME OFF!!!! Damn double-posts!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I are interweb tough guy, makes me feel like a big man.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Awwwwwww sheesh mom, we were just havin a little fun....

Everyone gets flamed on here from time to time, and here, it's really not that serious yet.

And for the record, the OP got a bit defensive after one person suggested the beginners thread, that's all. This isn't worth pursuing any further, let's just help him out when he asks his subsequent well thought out follow up questions......
Thank you. THATS what brought about my smart mouthed response. You don't get on someone's butt that's trying to help you just because they didn't give you the info you wanted. Or if, God forbid, they make you work for it...

Reactions: 12VEG

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't think anybody waits to belittle people based on a question. The issue is that the answers are clearly laid out in another post and with the most minimal amount of legwork he could have figured that out. Instead when an answer to his question was laid out that he didn't like (suggesting that he read the beginners thread) he took offense and immediately got aggressive with his posts. I doubt anybody here is out to harass other members but you have to give respect to get respect.
That being said, Cummins, read that article carefully and if you still have questions ask them in a specific manner and I am sure that people will be more than happy to answer them for you.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
In addition, if people are getting offended because it is called "beginners thread" whether you are a beginner or not it is a very good and informative thread. I think it is specifically called the "beginners thread" because of that reason. It is an excellent starting point as well as reference point with a lot of good links that can be used at all levels. I know I refer back to it on occasion for information.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts