Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the high today was -1 and as you can guess i didn't think to put some anti gel in the fuel. so my truck hates me.

I put some 911 in the tank - have no idea where a fuel filter is to put it in, and tried to start her - the batteries are dead so i charged them up got her to fire, she lasts about 30 seconds then dies - does this twice then wont turn at all for an hour or so, then will do the 30 seconds again and die.

How warm does it have to get to get liquid fuel again? and any tips? i can't put her inside as i dont have a place to, and i don't know much about motors- hence not knowing where the fuel filter is. i would love to put a space heater under her but don't have one of those either.

tomorow should be a high of 10, will that be warm enough if i try it later in the day? am i hurting anything by trying to start her over and over?(3 or 4 times)

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
It really depends on the fuel your running. I have ran at -13 with no issues and no additives, and I know others that have done the same.

Where do you live? Are your temps much below normal? When did you last fuel up?

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have serious issues it sounds like. The only way you can get it ungeled is to warm it up, if you cant use a buddys shop you can use a tarp and couple of heaters. 10 deg will not be warm enough to ungel it. What truck do you have? Your fuel filter is proably on the drivers side of the motor, its where your fuel/water seperator is. Look for a yellow handle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Its an 04.5 2500. 5.9 ho

I'm in south side of Denver - Highlands ranch to be excat, and these are not normal temps - last fri it was 70 and i was on my dirtbike, but we're in a cold snap right now, suppose to hit 35 on thursday. and i topped off on sat, put half a gallon in, from sams club - never paid attention to what kind of fuel as its the only option here.

What do you mean by Serious Issues? I rebuilt the motor about 5k miles ago, so it should be good to go. and now im scared sh**less

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
If the tank is mostly full you don't have a lot of room to add any Kerosene or #1, but if you have driven a bunch try to add 5 or 10 gallons of #1/Kerosene. That will go a long ways to thawing the fuel.

If its just gelled fuel its nothing serious, just a PITA.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea I just put a full thing of 911 - 32 oz in, and 32oz of anti gelling. it kicks over, but not for long. I hope its only gel as there were no issues before i shut her down last night, just the cold.

But the "You have serious issues it sounds like" scares me. as my track record with this truck is not good at all,

at what temp does it start to ungel? i don't want to toast the starter by trying if there is really no point.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Thornton here boss and i'm in the same boat, i've got 911 running through the filters and tank hoping our high of 12 tomorrow will help with the 911.

Fuel filters just below the intake elbow going into the engine on the right side
Green circle

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i just pull that out? and put the 911 in it? or soak it in some or what?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Pull the filter after trying to drain water. Fill with 911. Install NEW FILTER. start.

·
Registered
223 Posts
also a side note, plug your block heater to help warm the engine and surrounding areas

·
Registered
12 Posts
my truck ran great yesterday but it wont start today at 5 am runs for a couple min then dies. -13, cant get to my 3rd day at new job. cant get the jeep out from behind it either. i have power service in it but not enough apparently. maybe water in tank as it was under a half tank when I shut it off yesterday. I don't have a block heater cord. I am running a FASS pump now. Maybe thats the cold problem. It ran with the stock pump in -38 when I lived in WY.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It will sit around 6500 to 7000 psi at the rail for a min then a quick drop to 4000 and back up. It will die shortly after that, the pressure will drop to sub 2000 then its off. every restart will die immediately after that unless I give it a little bit of time. So far every try this morning has been the same. Not a good way to start a new job!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
your telling me, im lucky they closed the schools here so my mom came and let me take her car to class and work, other wise it'd be a bad story. cold weather sucks. i want my truck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Pull the filter after trying to drain water. Fill with 911. Install NEW FILTER. start.
wheres the water coming from and where do you put the 911 in the filter? i haven't pulled it - was to cold at 5 when i left for class but will look at it when i get home.

Is there a write up on how to replace the fuel filter as i have never done it, do i need to torque to to a certian level? the closest thing ive done is my oil filter on my dirtbike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Water comes from condensation, open the little yellow lever for a sec. Pull the black cap off the the top to get to the filter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so the water (if not frozen) should just drip out after i let the lever up? sorry for all the questions, i just rebulit it for 10k and dont want to mess it up at all.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
If you got a bad batch of fuel you could have a bunch of water, but normal condensation water is VERY minor. I haven't seen a drop of water in my filters in over 40K miles, and thats with 2 f/w seps rated at 99% free and 95% emulsified water sep.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey just an FYI. In Denver Sam's club doesn't sell diesel fuel...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Yea turn the lever if i remember right to the left and see what comes out, white milky color that runs kinda slow is gelled fuel, twist the cap of the housing off and you can pull the filter right out, get a turkey baster or something and suck all that out and fill with your 911, dump the rest in the tank

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
i pulled my air dog filters of this afternoon and they were gelled, not as bad as yesterday so that tells me the 911 in the tank is helping, brought them inside to warm up and thaw out, tomorrow's supposed to be 35 so i'll put em back on and let yall know. Luckily i got a buddy that lives few blocks away so i'm just riding to work with him.

Looking like its luck of the draw one of our buddies with a powerstroke that towed my buddies truck home had been running fine all day, left my buddies house and his gelled.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts