Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cummins Nut
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the 4500 and 5500 are rated for 26000 GCVW. And I also know you can register those trucks for more weight for commercial use like 30k GCVW or 33k GCVW and so on. But can you register those trucks for 30k or 33k for personal use. As long as all the tire load ratings comply.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
if your using it for your own use i believe you only need to register for what your door's GVW is.

or at least that is how it works for private in jersey.

all states differ.

·
Cowboy AKA Equality State
918 Posts
In Utah, you can register any pickup for whatever you want to pay...

In Wyoming, anything 10k and over requires a "commercial" plate, which technically requires a permit to run in other states (such as Utah) and can carry heavy penalties if caught without one! :shock:

I asked my mother-in-law about it since she works at a port of entry. I wanted to be "legal" while pulling my 39' 5er.

If it is to be used as a "private" vehicle ONLY, (not for hire) you should be able to cross into any state with your own goods or an RV without issue with whatever registration your particular state requires as long as you don't have (or are required to have) a USDOT#.

If you have ANY doubts at all... Call a local port of entry and ask what THEY require and get it in writing if you feel you need to :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I know the 4500 and 5500 are rated for 26000 GCVW. And I also know you can register those trucks for more weight for commercial use like 30k GCVW or 33k GCVW and so on. But can you register those trucks for 30k or 33k for personal use. As long as all the tire load ratings comply.
When my 2500 was registered in CA it was not registered for any particular weight at all. It was a personal plate just the same as was on my minivan.

(aside -
When I moved to NC they insisted on registering the truck as "Weighted" and assumed 6000#. This year I happened to ask during registration time and was told if I was found to weigh more than the registration number I would be fined...pretty funny as the empty truck is well over 6000# and I've had some big loads including my 44' trailer. So I registered it for 20k# this year and my registration cost a lot more.)

Does CA even have non-commercial weighted registration? With my old CA personal plate could I have towed heavy?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts