Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Rams are built in three places, Mexico, St Louis and Warren Truck in Michigan.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't understand why it cost more than gas!
IMO it's because the car companies, fuel companies and gov't are all scratching each others backs. They see people like us buying the diesel trucks, the diesel cars , and the car companies pretending to come out with new diesel cars (planned Honda) to try to help the little guy afford to drive, and they see people are trying to do what they can to keep from paying the high dollars which in turn has them selling less fuel. Their answer to that is to jack the price up so they don't loose anything, the people will still pay what they want. You can't tell me they all don't talk behind closed doors and agree what the prices should go to, they are all out to benefit when the price goes up! And as far as boycotting...say what you want ,but in the end, "they" are the ones that have the control and will always have control because how many of us can haul the fuel out of the ground on our own? Boycott and all they have to do to teach us a lesson is stop selling to us completely, then you'll see Kaos because people need fuel to survive. One word for it all..GREED! :butt: to them all I say

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just my opinion here... I had an '01 Ranger (averaged about 15mpg) and it did everything I needed it to do. I was intending on buying a F-150 with a 5.4 Triton so I had a little more passenger room. Call me a redneck, but I still would buy something with an American name before anything else regardless of where or who it's made by. Anyway, after finding that truck has no torque, I looked at the Ram 1500. The Hemi was much more responsive and I thought I had my mind made up until I realized that the 5.9L is a hell of a lot more of an engine in basically the same truck as a 1500. To each his own, but I'd rather have too much than too little. Plus, how many gas engines easily go 300k miles these days? I'm not a big fan of the price of diesel either, but if it gets too out of control, I have a feeling that things will stop getting shipped pretty quickly. I think that would put a bigger damper on the economy than selling my ride for some battery powered car/truck/scooter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Man out here in Southern California Premium is 3.45 by my house and diesel is 3.55! It really puts a hole in my pocket but I love my truck too much to sell it! But to each his own.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Um...I just filled up for the equivilent of US$4.24/gallon for diesel (CDN$1.03/l)x(3.785411l/USG)x(1.09 (1CDN$=1.09US$)). A few months ago I was paying about $3.00.

Now who's getting bent over?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Um...I just filled up for the equivilent of US$4.24/gallon for diesel (CDN$1.03/l)x(3.785411l/USG)x(1.09 (1CDN$=1.09US$)). A few months ago I was paying about $3.00.

Now who's getting bent over?
Tell me about it thats pretty crazy... but it just sucks for everybody... and it really gets to you when you know its this way because the oil companies know they can get away with it... regardless we're all just little ants to the government and big corporations and will never be able to do anything about it

·
Registered
260 Posts
To bad you sold it but I guess you did what you had to do. I will never sell mine. The truck is to solid.To built. You buy a gasser and you will not get near the miles before a rebuild. That is why I bought mine. I got a couple horses to pull around as well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It will only get worse with time. Trucking companies don't care if it is $8 a gallon because they pass that cost to the customers they haul for. Owner/operators will have to lease out or drive for a big carrier. We will just have to get used to potted meat. No more bologna or pork chops. The push is on for the new hybrid vehicles and so forth. Personally, I like the smell of diesel in the morning, and the sound they make as they are warming up. And I love the look on passengers faces as I leave a light slow, then clear all their stuff off my dash into their lap, at only 1800 rpm. But we will be faced with a personal dilemma one day. - You are driving along and see a hybrid that has slid off the road, or it has died, do you put a strap on it and help the driver, or spool up and laugh as you go by? And I still have a hard time imagining an electric pickup pulling a trailor of any size, for any distance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The only reason to have a diesel is for power, simple as that! There is no longer any economical reason, now we are really paying for that BIG engine! Enjoy

·
Premium Member
5,738 Posts
I am sorry sorry to hear you sold your truck. I am lucky, I lucked on the cost of my truck, I got it for less than its trade in value...how I dunno...by the Grace of God is all I can think of. Anyways, my tank is about $85 to fill up and I do it twice a month on average so it costs me about 42.5 a week to drive which is a lot nicer than the 50-60 bucks a week my old mercury mountaineer was. I also run to CT twice a month at least so I have racked up almost 18k miles on the truck and I have only owned it for 6 months. The salvage value on the truck (trade in value) is much higher than any gasser so in my case the diesel still makes economic sense. I mean it would be a different story if I had a Honda accord before...

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Haha... I am trying to sell my Toyota to get a Cummins... The toy is nice, but the mileage is better 80% of the time on my dads Cummins than my toyota, enough better to pay the fuel difference... And Arco is CRAP gas, there is a reason its cheaper.. you couldn't pay me to run Arco gas in one of my rigs.

You could save money with the gasser... amsoil now is only 5 quarts so you pay half the price, you will get about the same mileage with a yoter as that cummins.. not to mention the initial price was probably $10,000 less than then cummins, if not $15,000... When you come right down to it, the gasser seems to win at everything *at the present time* except when it comes to power, but these new vehicles are not too shabby on power..

Well I paid 29,500 for my tacoma, all the options.. and tundras are MUCH more... I just got a quote on a 08 6.7 2500 SLT 6speed 4x4 for 34,800... so about 5K more, not 10 or 15k.. so the price difference is not that much... in fact I would say I couldnt get a similar option tundra for less than a cummins.... Yes the engine holds 3 times the oil, but isn't it rated for 15K miles, thats 3 time the toyota... so cheaper on the diesel as thats 1 filter not 3 and if you pay to have that done thats once, not three times. If you use Amsoil then yeah the diesel may cost you a bit more... but on a normal comparison its cheaper....

The mileage is a wash (including fuel cost difference)... each does better at certain things. I get 5-7 driving the forest service roads when hunting in my toyota, dad gets 10-11 on the same roads. I get 15 cruising on back roads, dad gets 18-19. Around town I get 17-19 dad gets 18-20(now that the motor is broke in). Towing 1500lbs at 70mph I get 14-16mpg, dad gets 12 towing 10K at 70mph... At 75mph towing 1500lbs I get 12, dad gets 10 towing 10K at 75mph. At 75mph empty we get similar mileage.. .and the tundra gets worse mileage across the board... I dont even want to know how bad it would be towing the rated 10K lbs... face it a 5.7L gasser making 381hp is going to be THIRSTY, I would guess 4-8mph on the fwy towing... Dad used to get 4-7 mpg towing 7K with his 454 burb at 70mph.... And the toyotas need premium to make full power, so thats .20c a gallon more when towing... when you dont need the power they have enough timing control to run on 87...

Diesel wins hands down.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
That sucks. toyotas are good and last a long time but now since i bought my dodge cummins i will never go back to gas. Also i will never sell it because of these gas prices. diesel $3.55 in ct.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think you belong on that other site

wah:CRY: wah:CRY: wah:CRY:, every sucker who sells their diesel will kick themselves when the prices go the other way on diesel fuel. Sometimes it is more expensive and sometimes it is cheaper. I hope more people sell them so I can buy a few more. The more on the market, the cheaper they will be. This helps to weed out the people who dabble in diesels.
94cummins, I would like to apologize to you personally on behalf us "dabblers" for breathing the same air as you. We realize you are far superior to us "dabblers" in both intellect, compassion and have contributed much more to the diesel world than we have. BTW, I saw a site with many others of your superior nature on the web. I think the initials were DT? or something similar. Give it a try, I think you will approve!!:welcome:

·
Registered
787 Posts
94cummins, I would like to apologize to you personally on behalf us "dabblers" for breathing the same air as you. We realize you are far superior to us "dabblers" in both intellect, compassion and have contributed much more to the diesel world than we have. BTW, I saw a site with many others of your superior nature on the web. I think the initials were DT? or something similar. Give it a try, I think you will approve!!:welcome:
I think what he meant was too many people are buying diesels just to drive 6 miles to work and not useing them how they were built to be used. And then the prices go up due to supply and demand because everybody wants one cause their neighbor got one.

Also, I would like to add I'm am looking for a 3500 DRW that will never see a trailer, but I'm buying a diesel because they go faaaaaassssssst. Sure that may be a little hipocritical......

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
$3.43 here as of yesterday! I recently bought a 1966 dodge dart as a project car. It will be replacing my cummins as my routine driver. I will keep the diesel for now, but it is getting way too expensive to run.

·
Registered
249 Posts
94cummins, I would like to apologize to you personally on behalf us "dabblers" for breathing the same air as you.
Is there anything we can do about that?
We realize you are far superior to us "dabblers" in both intellect, compassion and have contributed much more to the diesel world than we have.
True.
BTW, I saw a site with many others of your superior nature on the web. I think the initials were DT? or something similar. Give it a try, I think you will approve!!
I typed in DT into google and found nothing...

First of all, let me say if I may, I am no snob. I am simply stating that if you are on here you probably have a passion for your truck. I know not everyone uses their truck to haul hay, horses, skid steers, or whatever. Some people just like to have a large truck. That rocks. Be into whatever. I just find it funny that someone would go through the effort to get rid of a vehicle they loved because the price of diesel is higher that gas right now. That to me is funny. The prices will switch one day and gas will be more than diesel. Then I guess everyone will trade in their gassers for diesels.

I ment that post to point out the humor of it. If you are offended by that post then that is a bonus. I find that funnier still. I think most people got my point. It was not to be taken seriously at all. It's all good!:T:

41 - 58 of 58 Posts