Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been searching the forums but I have yet to find exactly what I'm looking for.

I am looking to get gauges for my truck. Since it is an auto and has a small chip now I was thinking these are the ones i should get and in this order.

Pyro/exhaust
Transmission Temp and Pressure
Boost
Fuel Pressure
Fuel Rail Pressure

Should I switch that order at all, and am I missing any guages. Also where can I find the normal ranges that I should be measuring? I have found a couple so far but not all of them ar for a third gen but I am guessing they are similar.

I cant find a dodge specific one but i have seen some gauge pods that hook up to your OBDII port and can send most of that data back to you. So far i have looked at some of the autometer ones and the isspro ones and they look nice but all i have seen is 3 guage mounts for the A pillar. But I am willing to mount them anywhere except for on top of the dash in the middle. I might be putting in cab roof lights this winter so i was even considering the ones that mount above the mirror but i have seen in some of the threads they don't fit right but i cant remember what company made that one.

Any Pictures of yalls set up would be nice as well.

Thanks

alex

·
Air cooled, Beer Fueled
285 Posts
Check out this thread http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-non-powertrain/111182-custom-gauge-pods.html

Ramwheelsby4 is using pods you can find here.

You can get an A pillar pod (up to 3 gauges)
Steering Column Pod (up to 2 gauges)
Console Pod - fits in the space below AC controls (up 3 Gauges)
Overhead Console Pod (up to 4 gauges).

I've been looking around for some time and these pods seem to be what most in the community use. For my build I am going with the 3 a pillar pod, 3 overhead pod, and 3 console pod. PM if you want pictures when the build starts in Jan. I have seen a few threads with custom consoles but have yet to see a set up with more than four gauges across a single console. - Michael

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
As far as the gauge choices, they all look good, although I'd probably put trans pressure after rail pressure. If you are planning that many gauges, you might want to consider the ISSPRO Performax series.

The Performax series uses an underhood controller (the ESP) which connects to all the sensors (so you don't have to run all those sensor wires through your firewall). There are 3 common wires which run to all of your gauges (up to 17 total), simplifying your wiring and allowing you to move gauges around to any location. The Performax system also includes the Total Recall™ feature, which provides the ability to view the extreme values of all functions connected to the Performax system. For most functions, the stored value is the maximum value, but on fuel system pressures (Fuel, HPOP, and Rail Pressure), the lowest value while under load is recorded (requires the use of Performax boost gauge sensor). This allows you to focus on driving down the dragstrip or pulling track, keeping it in the groove instead of trying to see if your fuel pressure is dipping at the end.

The ISSPRO Performax PC Datalogger is an optional interface module and software package which allows your Windows-based PC to record all of the data being read from the sensors connected to the Performax ESP controller.

The module connects to the gauge wiring in place of one gauge (or you can wire in an additional gauge connector in a convenient spot for the module), then connects via the included cord to the USB port of your PC.

The software displays actual values for all sensors connected to the ESP while it is logging (there is a start/stop button on the screen). When logging, the software writes to a comma-separated-value (CSV) file to be opened up in Microsoft Excel (or a similar program). The data is logged for each channel at 5 samples per second. You can use your spreadsheet (e.g., MS Excel) features to analyze and graph the results.

The data is logged for all sensors connected to the Performax ESP, regardless of whether a corresponding gauge is installed. You can have all 17 channels connected to sensors for datalogging, even if you only have room for 3 gauges in your truck.

If you are not interested in the Total Recall or PC Datalogger features, then EV² is the likely choice when installing 3 or fewer gauges. For more gauges, the Performax system is more cost effective, especially when installation time is taken into account.

Through the end of the year we are offering a manufacturer rebate of $100 for a Performax ESP and 3 gauges.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for all the good input but if i were to add one more gauge so i would have 4 above the mirror and then 3 on the a pillar what should it be?

·
Air cooled, Beer Fueled
285 Posts
You want the gauges you are going to be paying the most attention to in the most visible place (your A pillar). Some may disagree because this is a subjective question, my a pillar is going to House Boost, Pyro, and Trans temp. As I am driving down the road, those are the big three. Oil Press, Fuel Press, F/R Diff temp, and volt meter are all important but those can go above the rear view mirror and in the console.

Most of the pics I have seen on the forum has at least boost and pyro on the a pillar, the third gauge differs depending on the driver. Like I said some may disagree with my choice, just keep in the back of your mind which gauges matter most to you (the ones that will be necessary to see while driving) and put those on your A pillar and above the rear view. That way you don't have to take your eyes off the road to see the gauge.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I run boost,pyro, trans temp on my A piller. Thats all you should need and It's a easy install.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was planning to put Trans temp, boost and exhaust temp on the pillar, boost because trans temp and pyro could be the biggest changers to cause a problem going down the road, whereas most likely the fuel and all that will be out of wack once the truck starts going down the road.

But since I am going through all the work to put in 6 gauges i was thinking I should just make it 7 if there would be another handy gauge to get. If so which would that be?So I wouldn't have to pull everything apart twice to add one more later.

·
Air cooled, Beer Fueled
285 Posts
It all depends on what you want to do. If you're going to have onboard air (air lockers, leveling bags, full air ride suspension) get an air pressure gauge. You have the big three covered (Pyro, Boost, Trans Temp). My recommend would be to have fuel and oil pressure included. After that you could go with rail pressure and trans pressure if you really want the cab of your truck looking like the cockpit of a C-130.

You could always add a volt meter if you're running a hell of a lot of electronics, front and rear differential temps is another option. If you are wanting to go all out go for oil press, fuel press, fuel rail press, and trans press on the four gauge cluster. That'll give you pretty much everything you need to monitor your rig's heartbeat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always have liked buttons and gauges since i was little. but i thought oil pressure was the one already on the gauge cluster or would it be a separate oil pressure, so is oil temperature a big deal? but i guess i could just get an analogue clock unitll i get an on board air, which would not be necessary cause all i would want it for is a large air horn, and for tire inflation.

·
Air cooled, Beer Fueled
285 Posts
You're right - the oil pressure is on the dash but my research on the subject has shown that Dodge has made that gauge an all or nothing sort of thing. Basically it's an idiot light (or gauge rather)... do a topic search and you'll find some in depth discussions on the subject.

I'm going with an AMSOIL BMK 25 full flow/bypass all in one setup that can be remote mounted. For some reason the stock Dodge oil pressure sending unit does not detect oil pressure at startup with the BMK 25. AMSOIL has done extensive testing and has verified that there is oil pressure and that the issue is with the stock sending unit. For me an oil press gauge is going to kill two birdies with on boulder - fix the problem of the stock gauge not doing its job, and fix the stock sending unit having problems with the BMK25 kit.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
You can always put 2 more gauges on the steering column. I have my oil pressure and rail pressure there. Pretty convenient place for gauges.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
If you do go with the ISSPRO Performax series, another benefit is that you can easily move the gauges from one location to another. On my truck I have more sensors hooked up than I have room for gauges, and I swap the gauge choices and positions depending on what I am doing with the truck (i.e., towing in hot weather vs. running at the dragstrip vs. towing in cold weather). I put a voltmeter up when I am in cold weather, because I REALLY want to know right away if my alternator is doing something weird (and I've been through 3 alternators in the last couple of years).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
06 Cummins
1,620 Posts
All 9 of my gauges are the ISSPRO EV2's. I recently removed a 3-gauge a-pillarset up and changed to what I have now. I really like the EV2's, great products. I considered the Performax System but decided to go ahead and run all the wiring to each gauge. The overall costs would have been similar.

I've got FP, RP, Boost and PYRO in a dash pod over the instrument cluster. I've got Oil Temp, Tranny Temp, Front and Rear Diff Temp in an overhead pod at the rear view mirror. I have Exhaust Pressure in a single a-pillar pod.

CD

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Dang CD, got enough gauges???

I'm only saying that because I want more gauges, im a little jealous :drool2:

·
06 Cummins
1,620 Posts
Well, if you WANT them GET them . . how easy is that ???? No need for jealousy.

I suppose I could have more???? Hmmmmm . . I'll have to ponder that some.

I think that the basics gauges should be in everyone's trucks - boost, pyro, fp, tranny temp, after that, matter of need or preference.

The temp gauges just seemed to me as important stuff since I tow a lot, tow heavy, and the desert temps here can get a little high. Nothing like towing up long 6%+ grades in 105-110*s. The exhaust press gauge is how I keep track of my PacBrake.

CD

·
Registered
658 Posts
But since I am going through all the work to put in 6 gauges i was thinking I should just make it 7 if there would be another handy gauge to get. If so which would that be?
One to monitor the wallet? :rof

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Well, if you WANT them GET them . . how easy is that ???? No need for jealousy.

I suppose I could have more???? Hmmmmm . . I'll have to ponder that some.

I think that the basics gauges should be in everyone's trucks - boost, pyro, fp, tranny temp, after that, matter of need or preference.

The temp gauges just seemed to me as important stuff since I tow a lot, tow heavy, and the desert temps here can get a little high. Nothing like towing up long 6%+ grades in 105-110*s. The exhaust press gauge is how I keep track of my PacBrake.

CD

I was just kiddin bud :S:... I love the cockpit look of the diesels that we can do because you could almost do endless gauges. Have been planning on relocating the edge to put in gauges but with being a college student funds don't come easly. :S:

·
06 Cummins
1,620 Posts
I'm only kidding too. The cockpit look is something that adding gauges leads to, but at least we have things that are attractive and lets not forget how it opens the right brain when it comes to creativity.

Adding switches for things like aux lights creates even more of the cockpit look. Then, we also have cell phones, i-pods, cb radio/ham radio, lots and lots of stuff with a small area to try to put them in . .

and yes, maybe a gauge to monitor the wallet??? I suppose that's what we have when we open the door to the money pit, eh??

It's good you are going to college, it opens many doors for the rest of your life. Yes, funds are very tight, I remember those days well. I went to college full-time initially for a bachelors/masters degree in the 60's, then more college part-time in the latter 70's thru mid-80's for a doctorate.

Kudos to you for setting goals and following through with them. I guess right now you'd be finishing this semester and getting a little break from the books, probably a well-deserved break too.

CD

·
Registered
41 Posts
why do you need 7 all you really need is trans pyro boost and rp

1 - 20 of 41 Posts