Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my first Cummins in the next several days, and need some advice. I've searched, but haven't found exactly what I was looking for. I'd like to monitor the temps/boost/psi on this thing, but don't necessarily need it to make crazy power. I'm perfectly happy with it being stock (at least until the warranty is up) and don't care to rebuild a tranny anytime soon either. Would I be better off having some gauges installed, or getting a programmer to monitor what I need to see?

Are the tuners plug and play or are there sensors that must be placed in the exhaust/tranny/etc? If they are plug and play and able to give me the data I'm looking for, that's probably the way to go...so which one do I need?

Any/all opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
809 Posts
You've got to tap the exhaust manifold to monitor egts and tap the intake horn for boost psi. Either way you go you have to do it. I have a manual trans so I don't have trans temp so idk how it works. I agree though mechanic gauges are the way to go

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I would get a programmer with built in guages. Like Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Quadzilla Adrenaline w/ Pulse, Diablo Trinity etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in the same situation as sbeduckman as far as not really needing an insane amount of power from an expensive tuner but I want to monitor all the essentials. I am wondering what sbeduckman settled on with his truck and any other thoughts/ideas on from other guys. Thought I should also mention mine is a 2nd gen. truck in case this makes any difference with specific tuners.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am in the same situation as sbeduckman as far as not really needing an insane amount of power from an expensive tuner but I want to monitor all the essentials. I am wondering what sbeduckman settled on with his truck and any other thoughts/ideas on from other guys. Thought I should also mention mine is a 2nd gen. truck in case this makes any difference with specific tuners.

Thanks for your input.
I picked up a Edge juice with attitude for a steal on here. Alot of guys are getting rid of there programmers for EFI live. I had a EGT/PSI gauge on my truck. Got rid of that real fast and got a programmer. A night and day difference driving the truck! So worth the money. I love in case u run too much boost or EGT's an alarm will go off, like keeping my eyes on the road and not on the gauge's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts