Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 3rd gen what are important gauges

I want to put some in an 03 3500 if I buy it

I would do 3 on the pillar and 2 or 3 on the roof depending on what is nessisary or needed

Exaughst, air intake, maybe a smarty down the road and other little mods I would do

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,246 Posts
deffinately want fuel, boost, and pyro... depended on your mods, i have fuel, boost, pyro, oil pressure, and a rail pressure gauge from quadzilla.. i just like to know that i can glance at one spot, and know exzctly how my truck is running performance wise... never can have enough gauges... :thumbsup what are you shooting for?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just want a bad @$$ daily driver that can tow or haul if needed and beet the crap out of the powerjokes, duramaxs and the tunners

Im thinking 6 gauges would be cool 3 on the pilar and 3 on the roof

also I do want to blow some smoke as well

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is the pyro gauge?? whats it 4??

Should I get the boost gauge 60 psi or 30psi??

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks and btw whats rail pressure

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks meyer

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Rail pressure gauges are only relevant to third gens. Third generations also have the option for digital gauges.

Instead of rail pressure gauges, first gens can get quite a bit of use out of case pressure gauges. The first gen may not have a tach.

Both trucks are going to need boost pressure and pyrometers. Those are the most important. Fuel pressure is good for both years of trucks.

Transmission temperature is only important on automatics. You see a few guys with them on manuals, but that's rare and pretty irrevelant for most.

What else would be good? Drive pressure gauges are cool, especially so if you're playing with a second turbocharger. Intake temperature is good to have, especially if you are running some sort of fumigant like nitrous or water.

I've seen water temperature, cylinder head temperature, oil temperature, oil pressure, differential temperature... Lots of stuff that most wouldn't consider worth the price or space of a gauge.

Another option to consider would be a Cooling Mist "Smart" controller connected to a milspec laptop... Not too much more than "real" gauges, but you can control stuff with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts