Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at gauge options for my 07 Dodge 5.9. I mainly want gauges for EGT's, Tranny, and boost but looking at the prices it's gonna be at least $350 or more for a decent set plus I would have to find something to put them in so I can seem them well in the cab. Generally this means getting a A-pillar cluster. What about the all in one electronic gauges like the Quadzilla scout or the BullyDog Watchdog system? I've researched these two through the site and I like the WatchDog the best. I like the amount of other gauges it gives me and it seems like it would be easy enough to install and it can be mounted right on the window so I don't have to change anything to my interior. It runs about $250 on ebay.

So my main questions are these.... does anyone use one of these sytems? Do they work well? Are they as accurate as they claim? Any problems associated with them? I'm mostly interested in the WatchDog if anyone has some personal experience with it.

I use my truck for pulling mostly so I am designing must of my upgrades for MPG and efficiency, I'm going to start with gauges so I can get a good feel for the parameters of the stock trucks performance and then begin upgrading it. From everything I can read and learn the Smarty programer seems to be the way to go next. Any information is appreciated.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I use autometers gauges/cluster pods...dashpod (3) electric and run the wires under a dashpad/cover (fabric) to the side and into side cover so only need 2 small screws to hold pod in place.

A steer. colmn pod (2) w/ single pod in middle for mech. gauges, 2 boosts and back press.

IMO, pillar mounts take too much of already blind spot...

·
Registered
263 Posts
A lot of people seem to be disappointed with the watchdog. It has a very small screen from what I've read. Keep in mind to get the watchdog or other digital setup like that to display EGTS you need to purchase the probe for an extra $80-$100. Putting you right back at the $350 mark. If ease of install and mounting is what you're looking for I'd suggest an Edge Insight cs for $299 + egt probe($80-$100) or the Edge Insight CTS for $399 which has a bigger screen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I had seen where the probe was another bit of cash. I will look into the Edge stuff. I don't mind paying $$$ for something I really like. I like the idea of these all in one systems because I really don't want the inside of my truck clustered up and lookig like a spaceship with guages everywhere. I want to be able to look at one thing and get all my info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am using the smarty jr and love it. I also just installed the bullydog watchdog and am not sure what to think of it yet. I paid 345 for the unit and probe kit. Everything seems to work good except the boost gauge on it, it will read up to 25PSI and that is as high as it goes. I am sure I building more boost then that and I have tried with the smarty installed and not installed with the same results. I am waiting to hear back from bullydog about it and will let you know what they say. Also if you are wanting to use the fuel economy part of the monitor, it is going to take a while to get it read fuel mileage accurately.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Upon looking further it seems that some of the problems with the WatchDog are freezing up and software glitches. I checked into the Edge Insight CS. It gets good reviews everywhere I've looked. The screen really isnt bigger(actually exact same size) than the WD but the CS model has the ability to show more gauges at one time from what I can read. It also has the Mystyle software so you can customize the look. Seems like a pretty good option. It's slightly more expensive, I've found it for $299 on Ebay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am using the smarty jr and love it. I also just installed the bullydog watchdog and am not sure what to think of it yet. I paid 345 for the unit and probe kit. Everything seems to work good except the boost gauge on it, it will read up to 25PSI and that is as high as it goes. I am sure I building more boost then that and I have tried with the smarty installed and not installed with the same results. I am waiting to hear back from bullydog about it and will let you know what they say. Also if you are wanting to use the fuel economy part of the monitor, it is going to take a while to get it read fuel mileage accurately.
Thanks for your info. I have also reaad this from other ppl. Seems as though the WD was rushed into production and had some problems with some of its accuracy. I read the manual on it and it does stress that it may need lots of adjusting to get speed, MPG etc to be accurate.

·
Registered
263 Posts
IMO the new edge cs is a lot better unit than the watchdog. I'm not sure if you can with the bullydog but with the edge you can set limits so you get audible alarms if your egt gets too high along with a handful of other alarms. The edge will also monitor rail and fuel pressure in a few months or less when edge releases an update and some new sensors. Also the edge is a full color screen opposed to black and white on the BD. I know I am making this seem one-sided but for $50 more I think the edge wins the comparison.

·
Piggy Piggy
3,426 Posts
I really like my edge insight cts.The only down fall with this until is if you run a boost fooler your will not get a right reading on your boost psi.Not sure what year your truck is put the edge variys on what it will monitor so make sure your find out before you get on and that way you wont be let down just down some searching on here you will find what you need

·
Registered
736 Posts
IMO those digital readouts aren't ideal. I used a quadzilla commander, which is similar to the scout, for about 2.5 years. In the end it started getting finicky with it's readings, but I always felt distracted by it. Digital readings require attention to process, while analog readings take relatively less brain function to process. I just installed 4 Isspros a couple weeks ago (which I do have a complaint about - they're noisy, which I totally didn't expect) and reading them is already second nature and I feel no distraction while getting the information I'm looking for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts