Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should received my new gauges Tuesday if UPS doesn't let me down....:drool2:

I have been thinking about which way to install them in the pillar.
I will have a Fuel Pressure, Pyro, Trans Temp.
I was thinking of do it like this:
Fuel Pressure >> Top
Trans Temp >> Middle
Pyro >> Bottom

Or does it even matter?....:confused013:

·
Banned
234 Posts
All that matters is they are lined up the way YOU like them. When I installed mine, the pyro was the most important to ME so I installed it so it was right at eye level. All I needed was a slight glance to the left to see the pyro.

·
Premium Member
10,421 Posts
Nah, it doesnt matter. Good advise from kc8yhk, whichever is the most important to you should be the one that catches your eye first.

James
RSD

·
Registered
244 Posts
Gauges

I should received my new gauges Tuesday if UPS doesn't let me down....:drool2:

I have been thinking about which way to install them in the pillar.
I will have a Fuel Pressure, Pyro, Trans Temp.
I was thinking of do it like this:
Fuel Pressure >> Top
Trans Temp >> Middle
Pyro >> Bottom

Or does it even matter?....:confused013:
Obviously fuel pressure and trans temp are self explanatory, but whats pyro? I've never owned a diesel, so all this is new to me. I"ve seen some pillar mounts, what should I look for?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Obviously fuel pressure and trans temp are self explanatory, but whats pyro? I've never owned a diesel, so all this is new to me. I"ve seen some pillar mounts, what should I look for?
Pyro is short for "Pyrometer"
It is the Exhaust Temperature Gauge allows you to read the vehicle’s exhaust temperature between 0 and 1500 degrees Fahrenheit.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Put the most important gauge you think there is(for your particular setup) most say it is the pyro, closest to where you will be looking out the windshield. Your eyes will beable to glance at it faster while driving. I put the pyro on the bottom(closest to my line of site) boost middle and trans temp top(furthest cause I dont tow anything). My RP and FP is mounted on the steering column so I can compare RP and FP with my RPM's. But do whatever is best for your setup. For example, if you are running a stock turbo with the wastegate turned off your most important gauge would be boost cause you dont want to grenade it...

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
I have lift pump pressure on top, boost in the center and pyro/EGT on the bottom. EGT is usually the most important, so it's the lowest/eye level.

·
Registered
756 Posts
for me I have boost on top, Pyro in the middle and Trans temp on bottom, it keeps eye level between pyro and boost

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information!
This evening I took the stock Pillar Trim off. The Full Pillar Pod I have to install says to install it over the stock Pillar trim. My stock Pillar Pod has a molded built in handle. So the new Full Pillar Gauge Pod will not sit over it flush.
Just wanting to know if anybody else has run across the same problem and if so what corrections did you make to the stock pillar trim so the gauge pillar would fit....Thanks

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
i took my pillar off ,,fit pretty good,but my buddy has an 02 he had to put it over is xistin pillar to fit plus he had to trim the new....ill get some pics up

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i took my pillar off ,,fit pretty good,but my buddy has an 02 he had to put it over is xistin pillar to fit plus he had to trim the new....ill get some pics up
I tried the new Full Pillar Pod by itself. It really doesn't fit that good. The Full Pillar Pod is a SpeedHut Brand. I called SpeedHut this evening and they said they were going to check into it. I really don't want to modify my stock pillar trim in case I decide to put it back on...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yours look really good. When I set the full pillar in place it does not fit as good as yours. Maybe I need to look at it closer. I see you used a screw in the top hole. What size screw was that you use?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Yours look really good. When I set the full pillar in place it does not fit as good as yours. Maybe I need to look at it closer. I see you used a screw in the top hole. What size screw was that you use?
that screw came w/ the pod,,its stainless and the threads match perfect

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
when i first put mine on ,it fit like $hit ,,till i wired everything up and tighten the top screw,,,,,i guess w/ the wiring and the boost tube it fills the void,the only thing i didnt like is that there is only one screw they should give ya two

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I have it now. Thanks for sharing your pictures that was a big help....

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
i think if your factory a-pillar has the grab handle ,,,,that has to come off and put the gauge pillar on by itself

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
my factory a-pillar has the grab handle,,,,2 bolts , but that grab handle is NOT seperate from the pillar.......hope this helps

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts