Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 3 quater ton Mega Cab with a gas in it. I can get it for cheap but i'd have to drop a cummins in it. Is it worth the work ? what would be involved

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
there would be a lot of work if your are going to put a cr in it. 12v wolud be easier to do. you would also need a tranny as well.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Unless you can pick it up for 5k it aint worth it... you can probably find a great deal on a 5.9L megacab for a decent deal too that will be less then the truck plus the cost of the conversion

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya i was wantin to put a cr in it. It has a auto and i would put a 6 speed in it i know that would be alot of work but... what would be involved in under the hood? thanks for the answers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and he wants 8000

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,808 Posts
motor tranny and ecm for most thing about 13 or 14 k not including labor

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would be doin all the labor .. i was thinkin about just making it a project truck kinda thing

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
well with that it would probably be easiest to find a donar diesel set up with the manual as you want it and take the frame if it is straight and swap the good body to that frame and use either vin that works best for smog in your state...

There are multiple computers that need to be swapped inside the cab and out, the gauge cluster, TIPM, ECM, Skimkey.. all have to be vin matched with a CANBUS system... which is why I suggest buying a wrecked donar and using the good stuff of the gasser for 8k.

But where are you finding a good gasser for that price, if its over the net I would be leary of a scam.. if not start searching the salvage yards for a wreck megacab diesel. and it may actually be cheaper in the long run with time and all the miss, unforseen parts and conversion to frame and suck needed..

Reactions: c45

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the info man, i aint even thought about gettin a donar truck . great idea . But the truck is local and has a little body damage that i could repair pretty. I think i may have to get it if i can find a donar . Thanks man :thumbsup:

·
Registered
216 Posts
well with that it would probably be easiest to find a donar diesel set up with the manual as you want it and take the frame if it is straight and swap the good body to that frame and use either vin that works best for smog in your state...

There are multiple computers that need to be swapped inside the cab and out, the gauge cluster, TIPM, ECM, Skimkey.. all have to be vin matched with a CANBUS system... which is why I suggest buying a wrecked donar and using the good stuff of the gasser for 8k.

But where are you finding a good gasser for that price, if its over the net I would be leary of a scam.. if not start searching the salvage yards for a wreck megacab diesel. and it may actually be cheaper in the long run with time and all the miss, unforseen parts and conversion to frame and suck needed..

:ditto: that was exactly what I was thinking to.. but you bit me to it!:hehe: Also check your local salvage auto auctions, may get a better deal than junk yard.. :thumbsup: that would be cool project!:truck: keep us posted!:sofa1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts