Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Go diesel

Votes: 57 98.3%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question has probably been asked before, but I am going to ask it again. I am in the market for a truck now. I am pretty settled on 03-07 Ram 2500. As of now I will only be towing my motorcycle(s)... some of the towing will be done thru the mountains. In a few years from now I may get a drag only car and I would have to tow that to the track.

I am pretty sure as of now I dont need a diesel(a bit expensive to purchase with higher repair costs), a Hemi should do the work just fine. However owning a diesel would be a cool/fun/different experience, and just to be honest they are pretty badass.

What is some of your guys input on it? Diesel is even better for a daily driver than gas. Or dont need the extra cost and hassel of a diesel, get a hemi.

Thanks guys

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
I'll never drive a gasser truck after packing a Cummins under the hood. It would be like being castrated.

·
Registered
173 Posts
diesel

I'd say go with a diesel because it's going to last longer. but the hemi's are smooth riding trucks and do have the power. A diesel is a good experience though, i love mine. very fun to drive especially if you boost up the power a bit. but other than that man it's basically just your preference. good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Diesel of course.....What do you expect people to say when u ask which is better on (cumminsforum). Go to i dunno hemiforum? and see what they tell you....

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think you will find that on this site most of us bought the truck we did mostly because of the diesel they come with. If you buy a hemi, you will always wish you had the cummins. Better gas milage, more torque longer lasting. My .02

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diesel of course.....What do you expect people to say when u ask which is better on (cumminsforum). Go to i dunno hemiforum? and see what they tell you....
I figure as much. I am on a mustang cobra forum so I know that is par for the course. But I figured most of you would have had both gas and diesel at some point, and possible own one of each right now.

·
On call 24/7
12,572 Posts

·
Cummins Power Addict
1,040 Posts
I'd go diesel, no question about it. A hemi may be able to handle those towing loads alright, but the Cummins will do it without even noticing. Especially later on with that drag car. Plus, the Cummins will get better mileage when towing and outlast that hemi... at least twice over.

·
Premium Member
7,010 Posts
My friend has a 2500 4x4 with the Hemi and gets 11 mpgs with LT285s, when not towing.....

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
The fuel MPG's are better with a diesel, but diesel is more expensive than gas.

That said I'd still go with a diesel, after you get one you'll know you made the right decision. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
owning a diesel is a hobby all in its self! its fun

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
now you are on a diesel site, you realize you arent going to get anyone going for gas? if your towing go for diesel, i love my 3.73 ratio. i pulled 5th wheel,6k lbs and never noticed a difference, 70 the whole way. just a slight drop in MPG, i was getting 14mpg(hand calc.) i love my truck

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
gasser advantages: 0.20/gal. cheaper fuel
quieter (not really an advantage imo)
cheaper to buy.

diesel advantages: better mileage, loaded and unloaded
sounds great
pulls great
better resale value
better cheap mods that get huge gains.

as far as repair costs, i don't think either one is cheap to have worked on.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
its cheap if you do it yourself. you get a shop to do it, your wasting your time if it aint a local buddy shop

·
NADEAU
1,874 Posts
If you drive a gas, the last time you fill it up with gasoline fuel before you buy a diesel, will be the last time you ever pull up to a regular gasoline fuel pump in your personal truck....diesel's are additive and fun to drive!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'll never drive a gasser truck after packing a Cummins under the hood. It would be like being castrated.
:ditto: I've had several gassers and will never look back. Mileage sucked and I only thought I had a powerful truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what should I look at when buying one? I have done some searches but there are not that many of the diesel 2500s around. I guess Id have to travel a bit to pick one up. I am interested in a 03-07 with an auto. What kinda milage should I look for? Under 60K? I am looking to spend 20-25k or so.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
you can easily find one at a dealership with 10-15k knocked off the sticker price! i wishi would have waited when i got mine. i got my 05 for 24k, now i see the same trucks with same mileage going for 15k!

no at this time, it is the perfect time to buy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts