Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So made a huge error today. Preoccupied mind, went to fuel up (was at 1/4 tank) and put 1.5 gallons of gas in before realizing what I had done. I sat there for 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do. Since the gas station is 500 yards from my house, I filled the rest of the way with diesel and drive home.

Now trying to figure out what to do. None of the fuel has left the tank since I only drove it for 30 seconds after fill up.

Siphon the tank out good enough? Refill with clean diesel and an additive?

Worried about this stupid CP4.2!

Advice please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
So made a huge error today. Preoccupied mind, went to fuel up (was at 1/4 tank) and put 1.5 gallons of gas in before realizing what I had done. I sat there for 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do. Since the gas station is 500 yards from my house, I filled the rest of the way with diesel and drive home.

Now trying to figure out what to do. None of the fuel has left the tank since I only drove it for 30 seconds after fill up.

Siphon the tank out good enough? Refill with clean diesel and an additive?

Worried about this stupid CP4.2!

Advice please!

That’s a tough one. But at only 1.5gal, I wouldn’t be too worried. Just top off with diesel now and top off again at half a tank—you’ll likely be fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a tough one. But at only 1.5gal, I wouldn’t be too worried. Just top off with diesel now and top off again at half a tank—you’ll likely be fine.
I was planning on doing this but it's the damn CP4.2 scaring me

·
Registered
208 Posts
Add a quart of oil. Preferably ashless 2-stroke.

Edit:
Worried about the CP4.2? Add Hot Shot's LX4 Lubricity Extreme

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
^What he said.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Ocurtis, This has happen 10,000+ over the years, 1.5G Gas in 34G DSL driven 1/4 mile and siphon dry and top of again with DSL, You'll be fine just drive it and top over every 4-5G for the next 200-300 miles just for assurance. DO not mention this to the Dealer. CP4 will not puke in this event, and will have none to NO impact on it survival.

John Jensen advice on Lube is optional IMO, But if you have Bio-DSL mandate its a NO IMO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ocurtis, This has happen 10,000+ over the years, 1.5G Gas in 34G DSL driven 1/4 mile and siphon dry and top of again with DSL, You'll be fine just drive it and top over every 4-5G for the next 200-300 miles just for assurance. DO not mention this to the Dealer. CP4 will not puke in this event, and will have none to NO impact on it survival.

John Jensen advice on Lube is optional IMO, But if you have Bio-DSL mandate its a NO IMO.
So if I just add some live to the tank, and keep topping it off for a while I continue to dilute? Or are you saying completely siphon this fuel out first

·
Registered
125 Posts
Add a quart of oil. Preferably ashless 2-stroke.

Edit:
Worried about the CP4.2? Add Hot Shot's LX4 Lubricity Extreme
What will the oil do? Bind to the gasoline?

I’ve heard something about adding rubbing alcohol to remove water but...that was decades ago.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Ocurtis Call Me on This, Your OK...Todd 763-228-7121.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So if I just add some live to the tank, and keep topping it off for a while I continue to dilute? Or are you saying completely siphon this fuel out first

I would not waste
the effort trying to siphon out 34 gallons of diesel fuel— that’s a bit much, even for me—and I can suck a golf ball through a hose pipe...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Your right, waste of time.

Wonder what the fuel system on one of these trucks is worth....

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
I was under the impression Ocurtis siphon it all ready My bad, Carry on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was under the impression Ocurtis siphon it all ready My bad, Carry on.
Todd, thanks for the call! I'll drive it and keep filling it, add some lubricant if I'm
Not on biodiesel.

·
Registered
208 Posts
What will the oil do? Bind to the gasoline?

I’ve heard something about adding rubbing alcohol to remove water but...that was decades ago.
I assume the oil adds lubricity and dilutes the gas. But I really don't know. I just know it works.

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
I would not waste
the effort trying to siphon out 34 gallons of diesel fuel—
In what way does it matter if it's 0.5 gallon or 34??

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
With the way these fuel systems are blowing up with regular diesel, no way I would chance 1.5 gallons of gas. Were it my truck after I realized I had pumped gasoline, I would've had it towed, had the tank dropped and cleaned, and refill with diesel. The CP4 is unforgiving and it takes no prisoners. Best of luck to you OP.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
keep a tab on your water separators and drain them often

·
Registered
945 Posts
So you lifted the black handle, which didn't raise any flags, chose a numerical octane, which didn't raise any flags, and still proceeded to pump...

HERES YOUR SIGN.

in all reality youll be fine. Just top it off with diesel and it will thin it out to where it won't even matter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you lifted the black handle, which didn't raise any flags, chose a numerical octane, which didn't raise any flags, and still proceeded to pump...

HERES YOUR SIGN.

in all reality youll be fine. Just top it off with diesel and it will then it out to where it won't even matter.
Correct. I did all of those things! Mind elsewhere, won't do it again haha

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
choosing an octane? yea i can see your point,green handle? that's no standard anymore. good job gas shaming him though, haga.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts