Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Gas in a Diesel help!!

1848 Views 28 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  9612vinva
Ok i know its not a cummins but its not mine its a friend of my moms and its a 08 ford and they were driving and it died. It was towed to a dealer and they said there was gas in the fuel...the fuel station had no other people that had filled up there so it most likely wasn't the station but the guy that filled it said he is for sure he filled it up with diesel... Could the dealer be trying to screw them? Oh and its a $10000 fix. Thanks
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Cummins Power Addict
992 Posts
$10000 fix... Holy :buttkick:

One day I was working on my truck at my buddy's shop, and he had two diesels come in on tow trucks... gas put in the tanks; one dodge, one ford. Make doesn't matter, the fuel system parts is what matters. Neither of these were ran, so was as simple as siphon tank out, fill with diesel and bleed a bit out to get rid of some gas yet and then the first tank might be a little rough, with minimal traces of gas left... but won't hurt it.

Being that it was ran and died... if it was gas, this could be bad actually. New systems may not have liked the gasoline at all... I don't even know what to think it may have done to the injectors, the pump (lack of lubricity I'd think), and even the engine. If it was gas... it should have ran rough... real rough before dying.
The dealer may be right... maybe it did have gas in it, did lots of internal damage... or they could be using that as an excuse for say a lift pump... an expensive one lol.

· Registered
9,910 Posts
diesel in a gas engine isnt bad but the other way around is a WHOLE different story.

Gas in a diesel engine can destroy the fuel system and even the whole engine in a real hurry. I wouldnt doubt if the whole thing has to be junked, but even then $10k is a little steep.

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
The major damage to a diesel engine from gas is when the percentage of gas is low enough that the engine keeps running.
If the percentage is high and the engine dies right away there is usually no damage.

Where the dealer really rakes you when you bring in a gassed up diesel is the hazardous material disposal fee.
Last I heard (many years ago) the disposal fee was $50 per gallon.
That's $1750 for a 35 gallon tank.

· Registered
430 Posts
Where the dealer really rakes you when you bring in a gassed up diesel is the hazardous material disposal fee.
50$ a Gal. :shock: Makes excellent fire starter :hehe: :buttkick:

· Registered
587 Posts
my mom filled her 01 CTD with 22 gallons of gas... after it died... we towed it to the shop drained the tank, filled with diesel, pulled injectors, flushed the entire system, fired her up she ran a little rough for a few minutes... that was 3 years ago, still running like a champ!! good luck. not sure bout the newer fords... i would def. get a second opinion/estimate.

· Premium Member
131 Posts
lucky

my mom filled her 01 CTD with 22 gallons of gas... after it died... we towed it to the shop drained the tank, filled with diesel, pulled injectors, flushed the entire system, fired her up she ran a little rough for a few minutes... that was 3 years ago, still running like a champ!! good luck. not sure bout the newer fords... i would def. get a second opinion/estimate.
hope mom cooked a batch o chocolate chip cookies for that, I expect they would have tried to charge her 10-15k for that,,,,, sometimes kids ARE worth all the work. :yourock:

· Registered
285 Posts
Hazmat disposal of gas with a little diesel = pour it into your wife's gas tank :lol4:

· Registered
3,126 Posts
i am curious what was 10K in repairs

· Registered
3,126 Posts
weeeeelll, considerin on the furds that a relatively simple repair like replacin the timin cover gasket takes either takin the cab off or the motor out, i'm sure somethin like this could cost a BUNCH:doh::buttkick:
Are you serious?? taking the cab off... damn that is crazy

· Registered
3,126 Posts
yea i love reading on how hard it is for them to take off the down pipe... always involves a sawzaw...lol

· Registered
9,910 Posts
Yes, they are not designed to be worked on through the hood. The cab comes off for anything much more involved than an oil change.

That is no BS...

· Registered
3,126 Posts
That is so funny and to think i wanted a power choke in my younger years

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.