Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 99 CTD and the gas guage recently went to full and won't move. I know I am not fortunate enough for it to be making diesel so what's up? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Later,

· Registered
2,164 Posts
your first problem, is you have a GAS guage, in a diesel.... next either you have a bad sending unit, or more than likely, your float is stuck. :thumbsup:

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi Jeff,
Had this happen on my 99 also, took it to the stealership said it was the sending unit and could fix me right up for $525. I said thats ok I"ll pass 7 years later the turbo boost sensor went out. Went to my mechanic that now does all my work fixed me up for $55 this was to fix the boost, everything worked fine for 2 days including my fuel gauge. I then got the boost code again he fixed that when asked about the fuel gauge it was a wire that runs along side the lift pump that shorted against the bracket.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where is the float located in the tank (front/back)? I did have to slam on the brakes the other day and the tank was almost full at that time. Noticed it right after that. Maybe that made the float stick.

· Registered
2,164 Posts
Where is the float located in the tank (front/back)? I did have to slam on the brakes the other day and the tank was almost full at that time. Noticed it right after that. Maybe that made the float stick.
Most likely. the floats in the basket in the tank. you can drop your tank, or get a friend, as most will suggest takin the bed off (its easier, they say) tap the ring off, pull the basket.

i have a 02 and my fuel gauge is skitso,it works randomly
if its sketchy, most likely sending unit

· Registered
508 Posts
there is a part number "floating" (yes, lame pun intended hahah) around for just a sending unit float and potentiometer (like $70 from a dealership) instead of replacing the whole pump like most dealerships will try to sell you (wayyyy more $). i would check for a pinch or shorted wire first, then after id agree with everyone else with the float being stuck or the sending unit being bad (which is a very common issue).

also if youre running any sort of after market lift pump upgrade you can check into the new sending units from vulcanperformance.com, DrawStraw™ V HiFlow i do believe they come with a new sending unit installed

if its not a wire then better drop the tank and take a looksie

· Registered
51 Posts
Mine didn't work when i first got the truck, checked the tank, my float floated away, Literally. So i stuck a wine cork on it, and it has been great since!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.