Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Too many similarities to mark them down as mere co incidence.

1/ 1.3 million miles
2/ Michelin LTX tires
3/ Long distance runs/hot shotting.
4/ TX based

I think Gary has some explaining to do, considering the Ford 7.3 is still on its original engine & transmission, and inferior Motocraft oil/filters.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5331532/

Premium Member
Interesting. But he doesn't tow anything. In the interview he said he "doesn't tow, just hauls" cargo. And he's a concrete breaking ninja too. Hope I'm as able bodied as he is when I get that old.

Registered
I've never heard of a "hotshot" service that didn't use a trailer. I think the proper name for his service is expediter, quite a few vans and box trucks in that business. Pickups are pretty rare because an enclosed space is superior to a truck bed. I think if I had left my engine stock and never pulled a trailer I would have easily done a million plus on the original engine. Then again, if I wasn't delivering trailers or pulling my own I would not have that many miles behind me. I certainly don't subscribe to his theory that additives made his truck run longer, but I'm sure someone will.

Registered
Are we stalking each other now...?

Premium Member
Heui engines are way more picky about fuel and oil quality than in line injection pumps are.

Registered
Well, its a certainty , the BG didn't hurt anything . Impressive .
Peace of mind is worth something i guess . I put 10 oz of outboard oil in my fuel in my 95 and 05 . Is it helping , i would be lying if i said i was certain it was. Don't think it's hurting anything . I don't put a lot of miles on one so i'm not worried about the cost.
My 95 has 109,000 and my 05 has 205,000 .

Registered
Years ago there was a magazine article about a hotshot driver who had a 2000 Dodge Cummins dually with 1.7 million miles on it. All with only normal wear and tear items replaced, but no big ticket items. Even the VP was factory...

Here's the article. https://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=646

Registered
I've seen that article before. I'm raising the BS flag. 160,000 miles a year, every year, for 10 years? Seriously? I'm not believing it for a second. Not only would USDOT hours of service regulations not allow it, neither would a lot of other factors. And didn't I read in the TDR that the digital odometers stop at 621,371 miles which is one million kilometers?

Registered
I have to agree that 160,000 a year would calculate to around 12 hours behind the wheel 5 days a week for 52 weeks a year. Approx 615 miles a day. But that said, I cant confirm or deny the legitimacy of this article either. Only that it exists...

Premium Member
And didn't I read in the TDR that the digital odometers stop at 621,371 miles which is one million kilometers?
While I have no idea if Dodge did that with the odometers, I have seen digital speedo's stop at a given metric equivalent.
Back in the early 2000's I was really into sport bikes and closed course motorcycle road racing. Can't tell you how many internet posts I saw and people telling me how they "looked down and saw their speedometer at over 190 MPH" , to which I'd reply, your bike isn't capable of going that fast and even it if were, the digital speedometer circuitry doesn't exist to read past 186 MPH (which is 300 KPH). And when / if they didn't believe me, all you had to do was watch a video of someone doing a dyno run and see the speedo just stop at 186 as RPM's continues to rise (on a relatively light loaded dyno of course).

Registered
While I have no idea if Dodge did that with the odometers, I have seen digital speedo's stop at a given metric equivalent.
Back in the early 2000's I was really into sport bikes and closed course motorcycle road racing. Can't tell you how many internet posts I saw and people telling me how they "looked down and saw their speedometer at over 190 MPH" , to which I'd reply, your bike isn't capable of going that fast and even it if were, the digital speedometer circuitry doesn't exist to read past 186 MPH (which is 300 KPH). And when / if they didn't believe me, all you had to do was watch a video of someone doing a dyno run and see the speedo just stop at 186 as RPM's continues to rise (on a relatively light loaded dyno of course).
I kinda get the feeling that you're pointing out people tend to be liars... :coffee:

Registered
What kind of guy would lie about his truck to that many people unless he was on an ego trip ? Possible ! I sure wouldn't, not really that important.. Not proud of it but have lied to the wife about buying another new gun !! LOL

Premium Member
Not proud of it but have lied to the wife about buying another new gun !! LOL
I tried telling her I bought the gun for her once, figuring that would be the end of it. And well, now I have a rifle with a pink stock and grips because she wanted to customize "her" new rifle. I guess she won that one.

Premium Member
I tried telling her I bought the gun for her once, figuring that would be the end of it. And well, now I have a rifle with a pink stock and grips because she wanted to customize "her" new rifle. I guess she won that one.
Luckily my other half likes dark green so 鈥渉er鈥 custom guns are unisex ;) still im comfortable enough to shoot a pink gun who cares? But we鈥檙e off track here....

The Uppity 12v Admin
Ah, yes, that classic pitfall. I learned my lesson on that one too. Now, unless she needs my help with troubleshooting something, mine are mine, hers are hers.

A method I've had decent success with is to maintain enough of a spare parts inventory (or at least the appearance of such an inventory) that "oh, I've had most of this gun lying around for a while, all I had to buy was one or two $20 items to complete it" is a believable explanation. The breeding population of "spare parts" coupled with a slush fund for the more expensive, infrequent purchases, has had good results for me so far.

Registered
I was told by a old diesel guy that a diesel never wears out. He said that sometime in its life that something will cause a small amount off damage to start wearing things out. Over heating, bad air filter or something like that. Not sure about all cases but there is some truth to it.

Registered
Too many similarities to mark them down as mere co incidence.

1/ 1.3 million miles
2/ Michelin LTX tires
3/ Long distance runs/hot shotting.
4/ TX based

I think Gary has some explaining to do, considering the Ford 7.3 is still on its original engine & transmission, and inferior Motocraft oil/filters.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5331532/
Your both going on my ignore list for good cause. Waste of time seeing these kinds of posts.

Premium Member
Your both going on my ignore list for good cause. Waste of time seeing these kinds of posts.

*** You're

:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

The Uppity 12v Admin
I was told by a old diesel guy that a diesel never wears out. He said that sometime in its life that something will cause a small amount off damage to start wearing things out. Over heating, bad air filter or something like that. Not sure about all cases but there is some truth to it.

That's one way of looking at it, I guess. Though, to be fair, that perception applies to basically every other machine with moving parts.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts