Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey yall. I got the bright idea of doin a homemade stack and was gonna use a 6" tube out of a grain auger. i know its galvanized so i didnt know how well it would hold up against rust with the heat cycles and such... any input? :confused013: if its not such a good idea does anyone have any other ideas on what to use? haha

Thanks for any input!
-Austin :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I think it would be ok. Just make damn sure to use a fan to blow all welding smoke well away from the welder (and anyone else too), as galvanized stuff puts out pretty toxic smoke when being welded on.

·
Registered
906 Posts
yes it will work just fine note that about welding smoke its no laughing matter

·
Registered
778 Posts
Im not sure how long galvanized would last. For what I do for work, underground water and sewer, we never use galvanized fittings because they disintegrate in a year or two when exposed to moisture. But I'm sure if you gave it a good coat of some sort of high heat paint it would hold up alright. Just food for thought.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not sure how long galvanized would last. For what I do for work, underground water and sewer, we never use galvanized fittings because they disintegrate in a year or two when exposed to moisture. But I'm sure if you gave it a good coat of some sort of high heat paint it would hold up alright. Just food for thought.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Thats what i was told... i think i will try it and paint it with high heat paint and see if it will holdup. Im thinking about starting it with the 6" pipe where the downpipe hits bottom. so it will be about 3 foot of down pipe then 6" to the stack

·
Registered
109 Posts
I weld galv every day its not that bad but it will get you. If it does drink ya a big ol glass of milk and you be good to go. And good luck getting paint to stick to it

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I made my own miter cut 7'' a while back. Got it from local metal shop. It was galvanized and I used a flap wheel on grinder to get it off, then painted it and primed it. Looks amazing. Dads a welder weve got the right stuff for protection though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made my own miter cut 7'' a while back. Got it from local metal shop. It was galvanized and I used a flap wheel on grinder to get it off, then painted it and primed it. Looks amazing. Dads a welder weve got the right stuff for protection though.
What is a flap wheel? im pretty sure im gonna go with the galvanized. as long as i take good care of it i should be fine i think. and i have up to 2000 degree paint! :wings:

·
Registered
550 Posts
is this seamless auger tube or does it have a crimp like some old augers have?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe it is seamless. It is just plain straight pipe. no welds no nothing. why?

·
Registered
550 Posts
because a crimp seam stack would look stupid. thats why i was asking lol.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I almost have the stack done! all i have to do is paint it and clamp it in! ill post pics as soon as shes done! :party018:

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Awesome man and pumped to see it. Love stacks. A flap wheel is like sand paper on a grinder wheel. Lowes, Ace or your local metal-welding store should carry them. Youll want 80 grit. Just smooth it and paint that thing!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.