Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh ok I have searched the forum on gauge install and have found helpful info but i want to double check before going a head and drilling etc.

I bought 3 autometer gagues boost, egts, trans temp.

boost looks fine and easy

for egts what size bit do i use and then what size tap?

for trans temp does anyone have a picture of were i attach to a normal stock trany??

and what are people connecting the power to for turning out gauges/lights for gagues. I was think connecting it to the fuse box so when i turn on my lights they will come on and i can dim them, is this even possible, what have all you done?

Any other hints before i take this venture on?

Thanks for Everything!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Can't help with the trans temp (have a manual), but for the EGT I just went to the hardware store and asked for a metal "R" bit, and 1/8-27NPT tap. That is assuming the pyro is a 1/8NPT, which after seeing you bought autometer, I would imagine it is...

I drilled little by little and used a magnet to keep the mess away from where I was drilling. When I finally broke through I backed the bit out, took a screwdriver with a slight magnetic pull on the front, and fished it all around inside the newly drilled hole. About 6 times pulled out nearly everything. When tapping, don't do the whole hole in one shot, I ended up busting my tap that way. Do a few threads at a time, back it out, then check the sensor plug to see that it's threading ok. Way easier than I thought it'd be. On the last few turns I got lazy and that's when I chipped a tooth on the tap. Oh and DONT drill right in the center of the manifold, you'll hit the divider probably...

Few good tips here. Good luck.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-powertrain/242452-glowshift-egt-gauge-install-2.html

-J

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree with lastcall on the tap size. I did autometer gauges and mine was 1/8 npt. I used grease on the tap and ran it in a little, backed it out cleaned it and dipped it in fresh grease to catch the shavings. I connected my gauges to the headlight switch and they dim when i dim the dash lights.

·
Premium Member
16,205 Posts
or egts what size bit do i use and then what size tap?
The tap will say what size bit to use.
My experience after dozens of pyro installs is there is absolutely no reason to get concerned with chips from drilling and tapping, they blow out the tailpipe the first time you start the truck.

for trans temp does anyone have a picture of were i attach to a normal stock trany??
All depends on what year your truck is.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
In terms of the pyro drilling this will help you know where to drill:

Drill out in the half that exits the back 3 cylinders:
(this pic is mirrored btw)

When I did mine I took the advice of Parley's Diesel and just turned the truck on when I drilled through, blew all of the metal scraps up out of the hole as soon as it poked through. Coat your tap pretty good with grease and it will catch most of those shavings.

Also, make sure that when you insert the pyro you pull it back from contacting the metal at the bottom of the manifold before setting it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh ok thanks guys, so i get a 1/8ftp tap, because yeah that is what it says the size is. So coat the tip of the drill bit and tap with grease and turn the truck on right before i punch through and i willl be fine?

for trany i have a 95

thanks again

·
Premium Member
16,205 Posts
oh ok thanks guys, so i get a 1/8ftp tap, because yeah that is what it says the size is. So coat the tip of the drill bit and tap with grease and turn the truck on right before i punch through and i willl be fine?

for trany i have a 95

thanks again
Like I said, dozens under my belt without doing anything special at all. Just drill, tap, install pyro then start the engine.
Think about it, the only place chips can go is out the exhaust and the only remote thing that could happen is a huge chip stopping the turbo. If you have a chip that big you have big problems somewhere else.

For the trans, remove the stock sender and put your new one in it's place.
Sender is located about a foot ahead of the trans on the driver's side.
Most likely your sender is 1/8", stock sender is 3/8" so you'll need a bushing if your gauge didn't come with one.
Next you have to trick the PCM by soldering in a 1000 ohm resistor (25¢ at Radio Shack) in place of the stock sender.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was told that there are 2 plugs on pas. side that you can plug your gauge into or are those only 1st gen.

pic of trany and possilby how you soldered the resitor in thanks

·
Premium Member
16,205 Posts
The ports on the tranny don't work on an 47 RH or RE transmission.

The stock sender is easy to find, only thing on the driver's side forward of the tranny that has wires. There are only two wires to the sender, just jump the resistor across the two wires that go away from the sender when it's unplugged.

Don't ask any more questions till you crawl under and look. It's so simple it doesn't justify a picture.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have a picture of what i think is the sensor it is connected by a black snap in connector, and it snaps into a brass fitting that is in a line that looks to be going into the trany pan. or are these lines oil?

sorry I just have quite a few wires that run around by the trany.

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
some people scare me.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts