Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

G56 upgrades

3934 Views 12 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  MfolsomblueD
Does anyone know of any upgraded internals for a G56 manual tranny? I just shredded fifth gear and parts alone add up to $2,000!!! I bought a used one from the bone yard for 2 grand and am looking to rebuild the broken one and beef it up. Pushing around 1000 hp and 2000 ft/lb. Not towing much, I was just spooling her up in fifth and BOOM! I was told these things were bulletproof, but I've learned that saying doesn't hold true when I get into the drivers seat. Any ideas???

Thanks
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
959 Posts
G56 BULLET PROOF.....:hehe: them trannys are junk, I just blew out 6th gear and of course the countershaft is one peice and that alone is around 1200-1500 and then replacing gears on the mainshaft aint at all cheap either!! I have had nv4500, nv5600, and then G56 ans out of the 3 the g56 gave me the most issues and the best tranny that I had the most lick with was the nv5600, they are heavy cast housing but is by far worth it. I put my 5600 the hell and aint broke it yet, the G56 on the other hand has been rebuilt 2 times and tore apart for many other reasons. I knw there are very few ppl that have upgraded parts for that tranny but I will let you kmow what we find

· Registered
184 Posts
ive broke mine twice also...i had 5k in it the first time and 4k in it the second time....if it breaks again im gonna buy a 5600 and drive shafts outta an 03 or 04. these mercedes trans. suck IMO

i havent had any luck finding better gears for the g56, somebody must have them.....but i do think they make billet shafts, dont they?

· Registered
959 Posts
No i havent heard to much about ppl doing that, I just know I cant keep mine together and I want to fing a 5600 2wd for my 06 also as of right now cause this g56 gives me nothin but trouble

· Registered
212 Posts
check out libert's gear website they do some bad transmissions for racing and the cryo work you would be inpressed what can be accomplished from the cryo process
I have done it on an entire engine

· Registered
184 Posts
what doese cryo do to the gears to make them stronger...ill try anything to keep the g56 together.....either that or buy a 5600

· Registered
351 Posts
i am just curious about what kind of power all of you guys are making? i have heard the 5600 is a bit stronger but the strength of the g56 has not really been an issue until you get up to big hp numbers like 650 or better. i am just wondering, any input is welcomed.

· Shiftin Fool
1,173 Posts
i made 691 last year, and i am almost finished with this round of mods. i plan on being in the neighborhood of 1000.

· Registered
959 Posts
Well I had right around 500hp everytime my g56 breaks and I know of more that are breakin with no more power than that

· Rescue Tower
11,008 Posts
check out libert's gear website they do some bad transmissions for racing and the cryo work you would be inpressed what can be accomplished from the cryo process
I have done it on an entire engine
Why don't guys post links to the shops they reference? :confused013:

Liberty's Gears Home Page
Liberty

· Registered
351 Posts
Well I had right around 500hp everytime my g56 breaks and I know of more that are breakin with no more power than that
So, just curious, is the g56 in your other truck or did you put one in the 04.5 in your sig as they have the nv5600? which i belive is the stronger of the two. :confused013:

· Registered
959 Posts
So, just curious, is the g56 in your other truck or did you put one in the 04.5 in your sig as they have the nv5600? which i belive is the stronger of the two. :confused013:
Yes I have a 5600 in that blue 04.5 but i have an 2006 with less hp and only 2wd and it will not hold up to that at all but the 5600 has more mods and 4wd launches and has been great :headbang:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.