Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a temp gauge on my G56 trans in the PTO cover after changing the fluid to Amsoil ATF. While on a fairly easy tow with my 12K LB 5th wheel in 60 degree weather, the temp got as high as 200 degrees. Has anybody else seen this? A cooler and filter setup would be fairly easy to do if I can find the right pump. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I don't think you have to really worry about the temp too much in a manual trans. I could be wrong, but I dont think it is near as critical as it is in an automatic trans.

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Maybe Duluth will chime in but I'm pretty sure the Amsoil's good to 240*f...I would say if 200's the highest you saw, you're probably fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'd like to hear from the Amsoil guys.

·
Registered
634 Posts
In my big trucks while running out west, high speed and summer temps I've seen the tranny get close to 250. I've also seen the rears get up over 200. This is the hottest I've ever seen it. 200 is about normal temp for the tranny and 160 on the rears. I would not worry about it. If the oil gets too hot it will break down and get foamy and lose it's lubricating properties, but with the synthetics you can go much higher on the temps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts