Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first off before anyone gets all mad and says this has been talked about before and blah blah blah I know already.

All the old threads I've look up online have been since 2009 or newer. Its 2011 now and almost 2012. Has anyone even try to make one?

I just toke my shifter out since I'm putting a new clutch into my G56 and I started to look at it. I got some ideas I'm gonna try to make a short shifter kit. I don't think its as hard as everyone thinks. I think people are getting to "over engineering" with it since it looks so crazy with all the linkage and how it works. Just IMO.

Any info? What's everyone think? I know BD said awhile make they would charge $750 for them. I think if my idea goes right could cut the cost in half. I understand there side cause there paying an R&D guy money and they got to make money some how.

Vince

·
Tech support junkie
4,938 Posts
Yes and the fact that the g56 shifter asse is much more complex makes it all that more diffucult to make a shoft throw asse. The nv5600 was a easy in compasison. The lazarsmith is the only option i know of

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm trying to find a spare shifter so I can mess with it to try a few ideas I got which in my head will work. I might just have to buy a new one from Dodge so I can start messing with it. The hardest part to mean is to take the damn thing a part and put it back together lol.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol no I mean like all the linkage inside with the spring ball and take it all completely apart.

·
Tech support junkie
4,938 Posts
So are your plans to totally disassemble that and modify the wholoe thing?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got a spare one from a buddy who blew up his g56. So I'm gonna completely disassemble it and change a few parts and try it and see how it works. If that don't work then I plan on making a whole new shifter setup and make it simpler. But I really think changing these few parts will work!

The only reason mainly why I'm doing this is because I will be putting an center console in my truck and having a shorter shift will help alot and it's also so much nicer to shift! And it will be a good challenge for me.

·
Registered
454 Posts
ABSOLUTELY MAN!!! i'm already looking for a shift tower to pull apart and try to mod. following your lead brother. if i come up with something, i'll post it up as well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will be posting pictures as I go. I also will be having extra pieces laser and machine for y'all to do it for yourselves.

Any ideas of suggest would be awsome. Ive been thinking about it all day. Can't wait for the tower to come so I can crack it out even tho I got SEMA in 12 days lol. I want to have it done before I leave but not sure if that will happen just need this dang spare tower!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
If you mill the bottom of the shift tower down, which would lower the pivot point, it would help. But then you would have to raise the shift fork "catcher". When milling the tower down, you would more than likely run out of stock before you got it down far enough to where you would want it. You could always add material or even a brace above the area where the tower hold down bolts would touch to give it rigitity.

I am thinking the biggest obstical would be making sure that your "catcher" will be long enough to hit reverse and not slip out.

Now this is all based on other transmissions I have torn apart and from looking at pictures of the G56. I haven't had acutal experience with this transmission.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I think you're a little backwards. To obtain a shorter shift, you would need to raise the pivot ball up away from the transmission. This would create more movement on the lower side of the fulcrum (pivot) with less movement on the top. If you buy an aftermarket short throw shifter, you get a spacer plate to go between the transmission and the shift tower, and a longer rod to go in the shift tower.

The big hang up with a short throw shifter on this model is not the actual shift lever, it's all the detents built into the shift tower. On a normal transmission, the shift tower is simply a rod with a pivot point, all the detents to help you locate the gears are located on the shift forks inside the transmission. With the G56, it's all in the shift tower.

So essentially, if you simply extend the rod in the shift tower and space it up like you would on a normal transmission, where you "feel" the gears won't be where it actually needs to be. Forward to Aft movement wouldn't be a big deal, it's side to side. Where you "feel" the stick needs to be to be between L and 2, would actually be a little off from where it should be, potentially causing you to move two shift forks with the same movement. Sort of like placing the stick in the middle of L, 2, 3, and 4 and trying to push it forward while moving 2 of the shift forks simultaneously.

I think to successfully create a short throw shifter, you would need to physically move the pivot up and leave all of the detent rods in tact and the same distance from the shift forks that they are currently. Which makes it much more complicated.

·
Registered
195 Posts
J
I think you're a little backwards. To obtain a shorter shift, you would need to raise the pivot ball up away from the transmission. This would create more movement on the lower side of the fulcrum (pivot) with less movement on the top. If you buy an aftermarket short throw shifter, you get a spacer plate to go between the transmission and the shift tower, and a longer rod to go in the shift tower.

The big hang up with a short throw shifter on this model is not the actual shift lever, it's all the detents built into the shift tower. On a normal transmission, the shift tower is simply a rod with a pivot point, all the detents to help you locate the gears are located on the shift forks inside the transmission. With the G56, it's all in the shift tower.

So essentially, if you simply extend the rod in the shift tower and space it up like you would on a normal transmission, where you "feel" the gears won't be where it actually needs to be. Forward to Aft movement wouldn't be a big deal, it's side to side. Where you "feel" the stick needs to be to be between L and 2, would actually be a little off from where it should be, potentially causing you to move two shift forks with the same movement. Sort of like placing the stick in the middle of L, 2, 3, and 4 and trying to push it forward while moving 2 of the shift forks simultaneously.

I think to successfully create a short throw shifter, you would need to physically move the pivot up and leave all of the detent rods in tact and the same distance from the shift forks that they are currently. Which makes it much more complicated.
Exactly. I looked into modding mine when I had the trans out, but you almost need to design and machine a new tower.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I did see that BUT all it does is shorten the actual shifter.
By shortening the shifter aren't u inherently shortening the throw?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 56 Posts