Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a post to offer some info. I have a tuned g56 w 35's. It was lifted at 7k miles tuned at 43k by 60k a dual disk went in. W the dual disk i put in delvac 50. It shifted great in the spring, summer and fall. In winter i had it down to -20 and it shifted fine once warmed up a little. When it was this cold w the atf it still shifted a little slower until warm. At 113k I noticed a little more gear noise and it was more difficult getting in gear. I tried hot shot secret g56 50 wt. it shifted much better. IDK if it was just the fluid change(likely) or the fluid is a better product. At 127k my shifter got really sloppy, on my way home. I drove 4-5miles like this and 1/2 mile from my house the trans starts making noise. Knowing that my trans is now shot got home and pulled the shift tower. The detent ball and detent plate had fallen apart. The welds failed as did the detent plate. I ordered a new B&M shifter and a new trans from high gear in Memphis. They were super cool and built a trans and sent it out. The new trans is super tight and feels great. The shifter is much tighter that the stock one. Its almost a little notchy but once warm its good. I feel like the shift tower design of the g56 from the factory is pretty poor. Its a bunch of small plates tack welded together. The B&m is machined and looks much less likely to fail.
Wood Engineering Gas Machine Metal

Wood Engineering Gas Machine Metal

Hand Calabaza Finger Plant Winter squash

Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
'18 G56 CCSB
386 Posts
thanks for the news... i was unaware of anybody actually making an upgraded shift tower because of how complex the stock one is.

·
Mountain Man Customs
2,812 Posts
Looks nice. Spendy, but for good reason I guess.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it was 500 but a stock replacement was 530-700 and still had the poor design. The shift gates are tighter and shift effort is slightly higher. I have haven't driven the truck above 20 deg F so and its new tight trans w delvac so i assume it will take a little less effort when its not as cold. It still shifted pretty well at -8.
I never had a shifter issue w the stock g56/tower. Unfortunately, the parts that broke off fell into the trans and killed a perfectly good trans. The tack welds holding the stock one together are pretty lame.

·
Registered
'18 G56 CCSB
386 Posts
we shelled out the cash for a Hurst in my wife's Hummer, and it was one of the best mods we've done for it.
after having short-throws in that, my vette, and both my previous GMC's nv3500 & nv4500, this G56 definitely could use some reduction.

·
Registered
'18 G56 CCSB
386 Posts
high gear is also a solid company. i bought my nv4500 from them to replace the nv3500 in my 1/2 ton, and they ensured we got the correct top cover, shift tower, etc to fit correctly without the HD body lift.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Been looking at the B&M unit for a few months now. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
577 Posts
silly question, is there a reason NOT to switch to a nv5600? in the event u grenade a g56?

·
Registered
123 Posts
silly question, is there a reason NOT to switch to a nv5600? in the event u grenade a g56?
I guess I'd consider what shortfall I'd perceive to be remedying by switching. Then I'd consider price.

·
Registered
577 Posts
i’ve heard the cast iron case has a lot less flex in it, less deflection so the shafts/gears stay aligned better under load/throttle. so less kabooms from the horsetorques

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont think id swap to a nv5600 at any point. My g56 failed because of the shifter coming apart. High gear makes a Hd case and cryo'd gears thats solid. Im pretty aggressive in my shifting and driving, my failure wasn't the trans, it was the pieces of shifter falling into the trans that killed it.
This was in the trans
Wood Sleeve Dress shirt Eyewear Grey

·
Mountain Man Customs
2,812 Posts
I dont think id swap to a nv5600 at any point. My g56 failed because of the shifter coming apart. High gear makes a Hd case and cryo'd gears thats solid. Im pretty aggressive in my shifting and driving, my failure wasn't the trans, it was the pieces of shifter falling into the trans that killed it.
This was in the trans
View attachment 942867
Right. There is no case issue. When a piece of metal (chipped tooth, shift tower fragment, etc) ends up between shafts they push apart, and can crack an aluminum case.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont know about other peoples situation but my case was fine. My damage was directly to bearings and syncros. I still have my old g56 and will like rebuild it and have keep it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
sorry guys, i wasn’t talking about his trans specifically, i was asking mostly asking in general with these because they make a girdle or “torque shield” for that reason.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It sounds like w really high hp applications there is an issue w case spreading. The bigger issues is the bearing retainer on the front of the case cracks and the whole counter cluster shifts. The thicker case casting addresses this issue. I would imagine it the HD case is far better than a girdle. It actually puts more metal where it is needed as well as a thicker walled case. The thicker case was recommended for 8-900hp and up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts