Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

G56 shift lever

21860 Views 21 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  RamHD2500
I am wanting to do something with my shift lever. I have a old GMC and the lever is just great. its long and comes up right by my leg. Now I know there is no short shift kit for this tranny, that is not what I am looking for. I would like to bend this thing to get closer to me so I don't reach so much. I did this on my 05 with the 5600, but this lever is diff. What is it made of, can I weld it? Can I heat and bend it. Or will a after market lever work? any help would be great.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. The top gears (1, 3 & 5) are too far up for me.

· Premium Member
163 Posts
What is it made of, can I weld it? Can I heat and bend it.
Sure can. I heated mine with a torch, bent it, and cooled it probably 20 times before I got it exactly where I wanted it.

I ended up welding a little extension on to it as well...I used a piece of 5/8" solid round stock carbon steel that seemed very similar to the OEM shifter.

--Eric

· On a new learning curve!
1,047 Posts
I just changed the knob. If I knew how to post picks I would show off my fancy shifter. A 70's style pistol grip! I love it

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
enafige Love it. I will work on it soon. I was not sure what metal they were made of. I can weld it, I was trying to bend mine in a press, and I cracked the lower part. I might try to buy a new one first.
Hayseed. I would love to see the pics of yours.

:yourock:

1,047 Posts
See if this works!

Don't look at all the junk in the truck!! I now have a nice set of real walnut grips on it.

· Premium Member
163 Posts
I was trying to bend mine in a press, and I cracked the lower part.
Heat it first and it bends like butter! You can go 90° with it in a tight radius with no cracking at all...

--Eric

· Shiftin Fool
1,173 Posts
i run the SRT 10 shifter in my truck it has a nice bend towards me in it. works great.

· Registered
1,704 Posts

· Registered
2,462 Posts
Eric: Where did you get that shift knob? I love it! Also, does the stock one just screw on, or is it glued and pinned like some others?

· Registered
229 Posts
On my '03, NV-5600, I scotch-taped two pieces of printer paper, together & drew a pattern I wanted to follow. I had to take into consideration the ashtray when it was open, so the shifter would not hit it. Before I removed the shift lever, I marked the position where it screws onto the transmission so I would know where the bends must go.

I took the shift lever to a tube & hose manufacturer & had them bend it like they bend tubes. Everything worked well other than the paint cracked & popped off in the area of the bends. I sandblasted the rest of the lever & painted it silver. Would have liked to have had it chromed but, chrome shops take forever to chrome something. Would have been without the truck with no shift lever!!!

Don't remember the cost of the two bends but it was worth the cost, in my opinion.

Joe F.

1,047 Posts
OK, please tell me where you got the extra cup holder??? it fits so perfect......:yourock:

I would not mind known where the shifter knob came from either...

Later
Yep Genos:party018:

· Registered
178 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
I'm looking.for the one thats in.that truck wood grip angled forward and correct shift pattern.on.it

· Premium Member
163 Posts
where did you weld in the extension at. I have the cup holder from genos garage and I wanted to extend my up higher thought about buying a new one and replacing it with a longer section thanks
At the top :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.