Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,889 Posts
Which trans on a late model truck?
Based on demographics I'd say it goes like this. . .

* The youngsters (or young at heart) will go for the G56. It's so masculine, sporty, etc...

* The middle age bros with a young family and plenty of bills will get the 68RFE, (it gets the job done without extra cost, and the wife can drive it too).

* The older and/or more established types will probably go for the AS69RC. The added cost to the vehicle doesnt matter to them, plus the machismo thrill of shifting a manual trans is long gone at this point in their life.

Since manual transmissions have pretty much faded into history at this point in the game, here's a look at what's left...

Aisin AS69RC vs Chrysler 68RFE Transmission Comparison

Reactions: 12valvediesel

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Which trans on a late model truck?
Based on demographics I'd say it goes like this. . .

* The youngsters (or young at heart) will go for the G56. It's so masculine, sporty, etc...

* The middle age bros with a young family and plenty of bills will get the 68RFE, (it gets the job done without extra cost, and the wife can drive it too).

* The older and/or more established types will probably go for the AS69RC. The added cost to the vehicle doesnt matter to them, plus the machismo thrill of shifting a manual trans is long gone at this point in their life.

Since manual transmissions have pretty much faded into history at this point in the game, here's a look at what's left...

Aisin AS69RC vs Chrysler 68RFE Transmission Comparison
And you are totally wrong and typically stereo typical of a a total :bart:

Anyhow I went from a auto (68) when I was in my 30s to a G56 in my 40s with 2 kids and a wife. Test drove a aisin but no thanks. A man can drive a manual, a real woman can learn, and you gotta teach your kids on something so go for the manual.

Thats just me though. Others will vary.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,889 Posts
And you are totally wrong and typically stereo typical of a a total :bart:

Anyhow I went from a auto (68) when I was in my 30s to a G56 in my 40s with 2 kids and a wife. Test drove a aisin but no thanks. A man can drive a manual, a real woman can learn, and you gotta teach your kids on something so go for the manual.

Thats just me though. Others will vary.
I'm good with your points on that.
My Son thinks I'm nuts for NOT going with the G56 in my 3500.
I drove a manual for the last 14 years. The AISIN I ordered in my RAM was very intentional. :thumbsup:

But it's all a moot point since a manual trans in a RAM is now history.
Wonder what the people that simple refuse to drive a slushbox will do now? :confused013:
-Ej-

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
I'm good with your points on that.
My Son thinks I'm nuts for NOT going with the G56 in my 3500.
I drove a manual for the last 14 years. The AISIN I ordered in my RAM was very intentional. :thumbsup:

But it's all a moot point since a manual trans in a RAM is now history.
Wonder what the people that simple refuse to drive a slushbox will do now? :confused013:
-Ej-
Same thing everyone else does, grab a cheeseburger (sorry soy burger with kale and ...) a extra large water, slap there favorite documentary about saving the forest that the palm oil infused burger they are eating is destroying the world on there 20" big screen center console while the self aware 15 speed automatic truck pile drives into oncoming traffic because the abs is confused on how to stop when its wet out. :grin2:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yall can hemhaw all yall want to. I'm gonna drive mine till the body falls off then put another body on it and keep driving it till that one falls off. All the while shifting gears with my hand shaker.

I'll take my burgers made from deer meat or beef.

:bart::bart:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Yall can hemhaw all yall want to. I'm gonna drive mine till the body falls off then put another body on it and keep driving it till that one falls off. All the while shifting gears with my hand shaker.

I'll take my burgers made from deer meat or beef.

:bart::bart:
Im gonna drive mine like a stolen cop car .
Or maybe like a normal crazy cop... ya know. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

Reactions: .44mag

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,889 Posts
Im gonna drive mine like a stolen cop car .
Or maybe like a normal crazy cop... ya know. ..
^ ^ ^ Don’t be agitating LEO’s with deleted G56 dually truck’s! ;)

And BTW Quint and you other gear-bangers...
After 2019 the resale value of RAM’s with G56 transmissions is going to skyrocket. :thumbsup:

-Ej-

Reactions: .44mag

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
^ ^ ^ Don’t be agitating LEO’s with deleted G56 dually truck’s! ;)

And BTW Quint and you other gear-bangers...

After 2019 the resale value of RAM’s with G56 transmissions is going to skyrocket.

-Ej-
Should I grab one of thease G56 thingy and toss it in the bed to raise the resale value of my auto.
It's the best of both worlds.
And LEO agitation is a must do .
Them boyz need some special love. ..

Me..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Automatic is indeed "easier," especially when towing. Practical folks will buy an automatic. They don't do worse on fuel like they used to, they are actually faster shifting and quicker to drive. They have a long service life.

But then you have those who buy the G56 trucks, or at least used to buy G56 trucks. I think they fall into two categories:

-Those who really enjoy driving and the added involvement the driver has with the vehicle when manually shifting.

-Those who think they raise their "cool factor" because their truck is a manual.

For me, my first car was an automatic Ford Explorer. Fine vehicle, ran the wheels off it, never rolled it. After that it was three VWs, all of them with manual transmissions. When I realized I needed a truck for business, I bought a brand new Ford F-250 auto. Since that time, I realized I preferred driving a full size truck to anything else. 5 Super Duty trucks since, all autos, all good trucks, I realized I really missed driving a manual.

Now granted, I've owned a Harley Road King Classic for quite a few years, and obviously you shift manually on that. but it isn't quite the same. And almost since I bought the first Ford, I've had a desire to try a Cummins / G56 combination. I looked at a few RAM trucks each time I traded to another Ford...but never did it. Finally, in late 2018 when the outlook looked bleak to be able to buy a 2019 RAM manual, I bought my 2018 3500 G56.

It sure isn't perfect. What ATC said early in this thread is true...blipping the throttle to match RPM to your downshift is hit or miss. It seems to in part be what gear you're in when you want to blip. Now, you *can* rev match for any gear, but you need to oddly hold the gas pedal down for a much longer duration in some gears vs others. This makes smooth driving more of a challenge. I also noticed the power seems limited during certain situations. And throttle hang seems to change between when the engine is cold vs warm. When I first started driving this truck, I thought I just was no longer a smooth stick operator. But it really is the truck. However, after a couple of thousand miles, I drive this truck pretty well, and now with almost 6k miles on it, it drives fine. There are a few situations where it won't be smooth, but that is fine.

This surely isn't the 6-speed from my VW GTI. I find the throws to not be too long, and the gates are fairly precise and easy to find. But this is no speed-shifting transmission. The clutch is noisy. But really, this truck is easy to drive. The hill-holder feature makes it a breeze to take off on an incline, even with a trailer. The engine has very good low down torque - basically no throttle input is needed to start off in 2nd. Peak torque is considerably less than a 68RFE truck, and much less than an Aisin truck, but all 660lb-ft is available from 1400RPM. It certainly is slower than my 6.7L Ford. But it does fine.

In the end, I enjoy driving this truck every day. There is a certain "coolness" to driving a crew cab dually pickup with a stick-shift. There is a satisfaction in actually "driving" the truck instead of just aiming it. It's a shame RAM dropped the manual, but I understand why. People don't care about it anymore...just the select few I mentioned at the beginning of my post. So enjoy 'em while you can!

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Very few dealers in my area stock any manuals.
When I lived in the big city (Vancouver BC area) the dealers had very few Aisins on the lot and it was almost unheard of to find a new stick.
Now we live in the cariboo area in BC and the dealers have lots of Aisin trucks on the lot and I bet a third are sticks.

I'm guessing people in the cities prefer autos, people in the country like the sticks.

My 06 has been an awesome truck and I love the stick but I'm now thinking of a new(er) truck and am not sure I want a detuned one to keep a stick but I can always delete it if I hate it...?

<<EDIT>>
OK, I take that back, the dealers up here USED to have lotsa sticks on the lot, only a couple 2018's left and it looks like you can't get a 2019 stick anymore..? That sucks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I loved mine until I started pulling my 11,000lb 5th wheel. The original clutch went out on a road trip. The South Bend 3250 org DD is starting to go out after the second road trip 6 months later. I know how to drive a manual. Could it be the G56 sucks? Is it the 3.42 gears? Too much factory torque? I don't know but I'm moving on and since the Aisin is kind of hard to find I got a super duty dually with 4.3 gears so if that breaks then I guess it's just me.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I loved mine until I started pulling my 11,000lb 5th wheel. The original clutch went out on a road trip. The South Bend 3250 org DD is starting to go out after the second road trip 6 months later. I know how to drive a manual. Could it be the G56 sucks? Is it the 3.42 gears? Too much factory torque? I don't know but I'm moving on and since the Aisin is kind of hard to find I got a super duty dually with 4.3 gears so if that breaks then I guess it's just me.
That's weird since a ton of people are pulling much heavier with trucks making much more power. The stock clutch is definitely garbage, but I just drove from Cali to SC grossing 18.5K and it didn't skip a beat. I keep RPMs higher, though, especially with the bigger turbo and DD. That trip did have me thinking about regearing, though.

Reactions: Busted

·
Registered
339 Posts
I agree with 02gixxersix. We have gone cross country, Tennessee to Washington state and back through the southwest, all over the southeast on the factory clutch grossing around 26k, 3.42 with no problem. I know there are a lot of haters when it comes to the 3.42 geared trucks, but, such is life. Stock clutch doesn't inspire confidence, but is capable. Just put in SB 3250 only because the truck went through a growth spurt. Would not be without my handshaker. In my opinion it keeps you more involved in what's going on around you. Although automatics have gotten a lot better, it is much cheaper for me to replace a clutch. I must add I do all my work on my truck.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I've had my SD OFE in my truck 10 years and it's still performing great, doesn't make sense to me your DD is gone after 6 months. 3.42's shouldn't be an issue if you use 1st gear when you're loaded.
The new clutch going out after 6 months sounds more like driver error than any fault of the tranny.

·
Toyota and Cummins Nut!
1,349 Posts
The thing I like about my Aisin is it isn't a noisy, weak, derated piece of crap.

The thing I liked about my G56 was nothing.
Bingo, the Aisan is a beast, super tough transmission, the Allision equivalent. G56, I have, weak clutch, I only bought it because in 2010, my only other option was that weak 68RFE.
If they had the Aisan than, I'd went auto. The Aisan is a $3000 option in itself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I regret not buying a manual but truck was too good of a deal to pass up. I’ve driven a stick daily since I was 16 I’m 31 now and I stomp for the clutch all the time still and freak out for a second when it’s not there. Doesn’t help that my beater truck is a manual so I never break the habit. Accidentally nailed the parking brake on my girlfriends mkx on an off ramp one day too it’s in a BAD place for us Manual guys lol. I hate Ram for discontinuing the manual and wish people didn’t charge a premium for them used.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts