Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone like about there G56's? What's everyone like about there Aisins?
What's everyone like about there 68rfe? Not looking to make crazy power, but kinda looking at ordering a new truck, my current truck is a 06 regular cab long box 2500 with the re48, so really any of them three should be better. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
472 Posts
If your looking at tuning in the near future, I would go with the 68RFE or G56. The aisin has no tuning available.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I do recall a guy telling me, but he's not to reliable. Kinda leaning tords the G56 just for the simplicity and what the truck is used for

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
if you want a race truck get the auto, if you want to truck for being a truck get the G56,
if you have a lot of stop n go traffic then the auto, 90% of my driving is highway, so i love my G56,
but at times it's fun to not shift and haul arse in my 04 auto.
i like you couldn't decide, so i kept my paid for 04, and purchased a 08 g56.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I like my 68 because it's great for commuting. Getting the trans tuning within the next week or so. A buddy of mine has the G56 in his 3500 SRW and tows his toy hauler, which he happens to live in as well. It works for what he uses it for. I would have liked to find a G56 truck, because my last car was a manual and I enjoy it, but they're not as common as the autos. I got what I could find in my price range. No experience with the Aisin, sorry.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I love my g56 but im a manual guy, never bothered me driving a stick in traffic either. You either like to shift gears or not, if I were to get an auto it'd probably be the aisin to get the ridiculously high tow ratings

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
If I were to order a new truck tomorrow, It would be an Aisin. Years ago I had 18 wheelers with 13 and 18 speeds, I've shifted enough.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
68 unless you tow daily.

·
Registered
727 Posts
If you like to row gears go with the G56. If you tow heavy go Aisin. Just a regular daily driver 68rfe. If you want to tune go with the 68rfe as the Aisin tuning is not yet available.

I personally only have a Cummins in order to get the manual trans because I like to pick the gear for the situation. If they made a manual Power Wagon I would own that. Love my Cummins just don't need it as I only tow heavy 2-3 times a year. I'm afraid I will never go back to a gasser though.

Ramit 2012 CCSB ST G56 3:42 Mineral Gray MOPAR

·
Registered
368 Posts
I tow heavy daily with the 68rfe, and I love it. I never ask it to work harder then it needs, torque is insane at 1600 rpm and I drive it normal, never go over 2500 rpm usually never over 2250 rpm, I have 3:73 gears and lock it in 5th when towing. I put 2000 miles per week on with an average gvwr of 32,000 to 34,000 pounds.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, the G56 is derated on horsepower and torque from the factory compared to the 68rfe, I have the G56 and I like it, does seem to be lacking in power in some situations although I haven't driven a 68rfe, my last truck was a Duramax with an Allison. Drive both back to back and see which you like better.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Had a 12 with 68, now have a 14 with G56. I like the 56 but thats a personal thing. If ya gotta ask then you should probably go with the 68, atleast test drive all three if your at all unsure.

I will say that a emissions present tune to boost the power up to the aisin level is a nice addition along with a good clutch. Still thats a big investment.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Love my G56, I don't tow, but i build motors on the side so most of what i lug around is payload weight of engine cores in my truck. I never liked Dodge automatics. I just think they are junk, but to each their own.

As far as HP derating, Ive driven all 3, it doesn't feel like a huge difference. The G56 clutch is junk as well, but I would rather
swap a clutch than a whole tranny.

Before I bought my rig I was contemplating on buying a truck with an Aisin, but I never owned an auto truck and I see people every
day crying about their 68s and Aisins with shift problems etc etc. There are people who will swear by all 3 trannies and they are all right cause it works for them and what they need it to do.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with a few others.... 68 If you live in CA or anywhere where you deal with stop and go traffic. If I lived out of state I would prefer a manual though.

·
Steers with the throttle
650 Posts
If you want the G56 or the 68, you can also get them with coil springs in the rear (2500). If you want the Aisin, you only get the leafs (3500 SRW). The stiffness of the 3500 can get old.

If you ever may want to tune, avoid the Aisin.

But the Aisin is a sweet tranny with nice gearing and is very heavy duty. Incredibly good for towing and will not ever overheat, period. The Aisin torque converter is the tightest one I've ever experienced.

·
Registered
46 Posts
G56, do the "D" word, put clutch in it and bam, you can tow as much as the aisin with ability to tune it how you want it and modify in the future. That's what I've always done and always been happy with that choice.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a deleted G56 with a twin disc and you guys can keep your aisin and 68rfe transmissions, I towed with it last weekend for the first time with the new clutch and the truck is an animal, felt like it was gonna rip the tongue off my loaded 24ft enclosed, this is a no brainer get the G56

Reactions: Fisherguy

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had a 68 in my last truck and a G56 in this truck. The G56 needs to be deleted, and then you need a clutch immediately. I like the G56 much better, though. The 68 was a great transmission once I had it tuned, but it's still an auto and built units cost a ton of money. It really comes down to personal preference. Do you like driving manual? Get a G56. Are you gonna stay stock? Get the 68 or Aisin. Driving the G56 with stock tuning wasn't horrible, but it definitely feels lagy as hell in between shifts with the torque management on. You won't know what you're missing until you drive one without it, though.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts