Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 with G56, got an annoying "hissing" noise coming from tranny when its in neutral, 1st, 3rd and 5th. No noise in 4th or 6th. Noise is not crazy loud but noticeable. About 28000 km, driven decent. Took it into dealer because it became noticeable over the last four months and they called it normal gear noise. Tranny shifts fine, just worried that something may be on its way out. Don't want it piling up on me climbing a hill with my travel trailer.

·
Registered
11,014 Posts
2005 with G56, got an annoying "hissing" noise coming from tranny when its in neutral, 1st, 3rd and 5th. No noise in 4th or 6th. Noise is not crazy loud but noticeable. About 28000 km, driven decent. Took it into dealer because it became noticeable over the last four months and they called it normal gear noise. Tranny shifts fine, just worried that something may be on its way out. Don't want it piling up on me climbing a hill with my travel trailer.
You might just try changing out the ATF+4. Since it's still on warranty,keep your receipts. It's an easy changeout and requires 6.2 qts. Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the problem to be the shifter boot...looks like it slipped off the shifter somehow and the opening was letting noise come up when the shifter was in certain positions. I pulled it back onto the shifter and cinched it down with some plastic ties. Quiet as new now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts