Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello CF
Seeking clutch recommendations for the G56 in my 2005. Truck has 85,000 miles and fifty percent of current usage is towing a 14,000# trailer in mountain (5,000-11,000 feet elevations) conditions.
Thank you

·
Clayton @ Dude's Diesel Performance
3,374 Posts
Hello CF
Seeking clutch recommendations for the G56 in my 2005. Truck has 85,000 miles and fifty percent of current usage is towing a 14,000# trailer in mountain (5,000-11,000 feet elevations) conditions.
Thank you
This is definitely a tough decision when it comes to a decision. I have dealt with Southbend and Valair and let me tell you both have outstanding customer service. Dan at Valair is who i primarily deal with as most of my customers ask for Valair and Mr. Dan is a stand up guy who will do just about anything for you as long as you are honest.

I have customers that utilize both for racing and or towing and are extremely happy with both.

If i were to buy one today i would go with Valair. Not saying Southbend is bad but i deal with Valair alot more and am always impressed by those guys.

·
Joe @ Dude’s Diesel Performance
1,180 Posts
Hello CF
Thank you
Whether you choose Valair or South Bend, I'd go with Organic since you pull that kind of weight. Organic will have much smoother engagements vs ceramic. I've had both and I personally run South Bend and never had a problem. Also be sure to get new hydraulics from whichever brand you decide on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ll jump in here as I’m in the same boat. Truck in my sig., 216000 mi. As far as I know original clutch. I got it at 185K. Slips with Bully Dog on Performance, at first only with the 5th wheel, but now at will. So , for now running in Tow mode and it seems to hold there. But probably this summer, replacement. Was torn between big single or dual disc. But some one posted that pedal effort on the big single was high. They also indicated that South Bend dual disc had high pedal effort compared to the Valair, any one concur? This truck is DD with half dozen tows a year, often with boat behind 5th wheel, about 8K total. May replace Bully Dog with HP Tuners/Optimal Welding tune in the future. No plans to change stock turbo or fueling. I’m leaning dual disc at this point, SB or Valair?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Mbuechle

You're stuck with having to run a dual disk since you like to crank the programmer to MAX instead of TOW towing. Will walk through any single disk on the market over time towing.

Not going to like the rollover sounds coming out of the G56 with any conventional clutch single or dual, G56s are NOISY, gear feedback into the clutch housing and into the cab.
Use a higher viscosity gear oil GL4 or GL5 copper safe instead of the pee thin ATF. Helps to quiet gear noise somewhat.

Valair has a HD organic dual disk QUIET with special sound quieting of the heavy floater disk plate. Well worth the extra money for road sanity after a few hours of peace and quiet.
Whole kit or will be back doing it again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Steelhead1,
Ability to tow in Performance mode is not a requirement, Tow mode works fine for that. But I do like the rear drift on dry on-ramps that Performance gives. Already running Delvac 50 in the G56. Guess I need to hear gear roll-over noise to see if that would be an issue. It is however a truck and it's the ruggedness and simplicity of it that I like. I'm an aircraft mechanic so like to do things right the first time, also quite fond of overkill.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback.

Does anyone recommend against changing over to a single disk fly wheel?

At this point, I have received suggestions for Valair and Southbend.

Phoenix seems to be a different mindset, any experience with them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts