Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got time to install a transfer case indexing ring to help elevate some driveline vibrations, but now I'm in a worse position. The indexing ring itself installed just fine, but the problem is the clearance between the driveshaft and the transmission crossmember. The clearance is tight (1/4" or so), but when you hit a bump the driveshaft hits the crossmember. Temporaily I will have to remove the driveshaft so that I don't damage anything.

Fortunatly, I have a fix for this, but it envolves lowering the entire transmission crossmember about 1" and shimming the transmission back up. It should be interesting, but it will work. I'm sure this has happened to someone else on here and if it has, I would like to hear your suggestions.

For those of you that are looking into indexing your transfer case in the near future, my only suggestion is not to buy a Superlift ring. There machining is a bit rough and they always leave something important from their product.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Unfortunately I can't lower my transmission cross member because it is part of my lift-Rize 8"- but I think once I reindex the transfer case everything will be fine. The Rize index ring is a work of art, really! But I don't think it can be fully utilized in its lowest setting with the Rize crossmember. Sounds like you have the right idea though.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Notching out some of the cross-member is not an option?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Checkout Oneupoffroad.com they make a kit that drops the crossmember 3" for driveline clearance. It is the next mod going onto my truck.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
drops the crossmember 3" for driveline clearance. It is the next mod going onto my truck.
I've seen those drop t-case skid kits on the Jeeps, not liking those at all...especially if you plan on wheelin' the rig. If you're not wheelin' it and using it as a Mall Crawler or a Strip Cruiser, I guess it will be just fine... Just my $.02 that counts for nothing :lol3:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll look up that crossmember drop. 3" is a lot more than I need, but maybe I can get some other ideas after seeing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts