Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DOT Inspection

Well two of my guy’s were in Spring Hill Fl. yesterday to load up a 12,000 lbs treatment system and run it back to the east coast. The driver was pulled over by DOT for a road side inspection. He probably seen something on the trailer that did not like, but the employee said he wanted to look at one the fuel in the truck; they opened the filter drain hose into a bottle to prove there was no off-road in it.
Then here comes the kicker, the driver said that he broke out a mirror and proceeded to look at the exhaust system on the truck, from front to back, the passenger is my mechanic and asked the officer what he was looking for, the officer said “to see if your exhaust system is compliant with the federal emission guidelines” Now here is my question, can they actually police the emission laws? I have a call into a retired DOT guy that I go hunting with to ask him what’s up with this, and why they are checking in Florida as our emissions testing was dropped over 5 years ago.
So I am not trying to put the fear of the blue and whites in anybody but it seems like they are well versed in what’s going on, at least this one lone ranger is.
Anyway they let them go on there way, and this transpired on I75 South near Ft. Myers.

flgc

·
Registered
323 Posts
interested as well.

·
Banned
722 Posts
I had a Lousiana state trooper pulled me over on i10 and looked under my truck at my exhaust. He didnt say anything though. I do have my muffler on. Thanks for the heads up though

·
Registered
207 Posts
its highly illegal to remove your emissions control stuff on any vehicle that came equipped with it from the factory.

that said...there are no mandatory inspections in florida...so you wouldnt have anything to worry about except at these checkpoints.

why wouldnt they be able to enforce the law? you knowingly broke it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I don't think he was looking for emission control as he would have to know specific year and requirements for each vehicle. If I was to guess I would say he was looking to see if there was a muffler on it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I dont know about over there, but around here in Texas they are pretty keen on what these newer trucks should and shouldn't have! I haul rental trailers for the oilfield rigsites, and our newest toter is an 08 Pete, with of course a 310 Cummins DPFed-up, and an 07 Pete non-emissions, we both got doted at scale house. They went over the whole entire exhaust system on the 08, but didn't even look at the 07, and the inspections were done side by side by the same two Dot-Troopers:gun2::ar15!

·
Registered
179 Posts
anyone want to make some easy money? Build fake dpf and cat bubble to put on these exhausts and sell the suckers

·
Registered
510 Posts
Silentbob76-
The trick used to be to take the cat off, hammer a piece of rebar through the center, pull it out, and hammer it through a few more times. By doing this the internals would break into pieces and fall out. Once it was empty, just weld it back on.

A guy could even weld a solid, straight pipe inside the cat so that the flow dynamics stay good.

I'm not sure if I would do this with an expensive DPF.

-Rhyno

·
Registered
179 Posts
Silentbob76-
The trick used to be to take the cat off, hammer a piece of rebar through the center, pull it out, and hammer it through a few more times. By doing this the internals would break into pieces and fall out. Once it was empty, just weld it back on.

A guy could even weld a solid, straight pipe inside the cat so that the flow dynamics stay good.

I'm not sure if I would do this with an expensive DPF.

-Rhyno
AGREE, thats why someone needs to make these fake DPF's

when I took mine off I didn't just throw it in a corner its sleeping in an old truck toolbox locked and bolted to a wall I'm going to guard that thing like it was my first born just in case the sh!t hits the fan with emissions and the truck takes a dump

·
Registered
212 Posts
Texas has the same thing, License and Weight DPS Troopers, can stop any vehicle for inspection any time without probable cause, federal and state law enforcement. They are required to do so many inspections on different types of vehicles per week / month. I can vouch that they are very strict and are looking at everything if they stop you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
from my understanding if you remove the emissions yourself they can't touch you unless you have emission requirements. In wyoming the exhaust shops wone take cats and such off for you but if you bring it in with the emissions off they'll build any exhaust you want. But we don't have to do any testing to meet emissions. Like cali its illegal no matter who takes it off.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I guess I'll bite on this all as well. I am not going to just bolt all my emission stuff back on though... I will take and make fake look alikes and put them back on though.

I also know that your asking for trouble by gutting the insides out and running these things all empty. Its a lot better to take these and run a straight pipe through them and just have the look on the outside of the exhaust system. The large empty cavity on the exhaust system will actually slow up and get the exhaust tumbling and not running straight through...

So, fake DPF's are us LOL

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
A fake DPF setup will leave soot all over the exhaust pipe which anyone smart enough to know what to looked for on a DPFed truck will know isn't supposed to happen.

the officer said “to see if your exhaust system is compliant with the federal emission guidelines”
That kinda sorta tells me that they don't really care about the emission testing status of whatever state you're registered in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also know that your asking for trouble by gutting the insides out and running these things all empty. Its a lot better to take these and run a straight pipe through them and just have the look on the outside of the exhaust system. The large empty cavity on the exhaust system will actually slow up and get the exhaust tumbling and not running straight through...

So, fake DPF's are us LOL

I agree its not a good idea to hollow these things out. Ive seen some studies that showed the turbulance caused in the exhaust will often times drop you 2 -3 MPG's as well as cause a drop in hp. You are better off leaving everything on then hollowing them. BUT THAT SAID A PIPE SHOVED THROUGH THE MIDDLE AND WELDED IN PLACE IS AN AWSOME TRICK. LOOKS PERFECT ON THE OUTSIDE AND FLOWS THE BEST :thumbsup

·
Registered
148 Posts
Fake or Mod'd DPF

I posted the same thought on a different thread about welding a pipe straight through the DPF. The comments were how expensive they were and that if you needed one later, it would be a ton of money, I think $2200. I like the idea of a truly fake one...same size, etc...could even plug the sensors into it. Visual inspection states are visual inspection, not sniffer states. Who is to say that your DPF wasn't working and that is why you have some soot? "It's there officer, see the wires and sensors, under the mud? And that big fat cat and the big fat muffler, all there like it is supposed to be. Not sure why I have that soot, but thanks for pointing it out to me." Now, having just got a ticket for 43 in a 30 from a smug motorcycle cop under Indiana's latest revenue plan, I might still be in a F U mood to all enforcement officers.

So, maybe BADP could add it to their system, it's already $1600 from what I hear including the yet to be released box, so another $50-100 for a system that passes muffler and DPF and CAT visual check, might be worth it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
On my last trip through Minnesota, I got the mirror under the truck right after the officer asked me what year my truck was and wanted to look at my door sticker. I do not have the factory stuff on there. I have a Minnesota Transporter plate on the front of the truck and when the DOT guy saw the exhaust was altered he then looked at the rear plate on the truck. Since I am registered up here in Saskatchewan and there are no regulations with regards to the exhaust [yet] I was ok to go. The guy was real good about it. He claimed that they are looking to see who does and who does not have the compliant components on their 'Commercially Registered' vehicles. He then said since I am not registered in the USA, the Federal regulations do not apply to me. I decided not to ask any other questions but I did want to know what happens to the folks that have altered a USA truck.
I have a feeling that our law makers up here will be changing that on or around January 1, 2010.

Scotty

·
Registered
325 Posts
well my plans to mod my truck just got flushed down the tiolet........im not modding a single thing to my motor now........just gonna go all suspension :p all these laws and restrictions is getting out of hand........

1 - 20 of 22 Posts