Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the day working on member 1992d250boss's truck. Good to find a fellow 1st genner here in Jacksonville. We got rid of the fusible links. The PO had hacked away at each circuit throughout the years and was an absolute rats nest to trace out and make right. Found this fuse block on a marine website. Has 4 midi fuse circuits and 6 ato/atc circuits. You only need 8. Stole this wiring diagram from member "Truckjerk" and got her done!

40A MIDI; 12ga Pink/Black = Ignition Main Feed
40A MIDI; 12ga Red = Ignition Main Feed
40A MIDI; 12ga Red/White = Exterior Lamps/Headlamp Switch
30A ATC; 12ga Black/Red = Accessories/Power Mirrors
15A ATC; 16ga Pink = Hazard Flasher
100A MIDI; 6ga Black = Alternator Main
30A ATC; 14ga Brown = ASD/Fuel Shutoff Solenoid Relay
40A MIDI; 12ga Red = Starter Relay (paired with 12ga Red/White, no fusible from factory)
20A ATC; 16ga Orange = ECM/A/C Relay

·
Premium Member
20,225 Posts
Looks like a nice clean job, but why didn't you use a red shield cable off the Pos post to the block? Probably the same reason I wouldn't have because Walmart only has premade ones in black?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a nice clean job, but why didn't you use a red shield cable off the Pos post to the block? Probably the same reason I wouldn't have because Walmart only has premade ones in black?
close, vatozone, and for the same reason:hehe:

Reactions: 9297oldram

·
Registered
86 Posts
Awesome day. Got to work with justinfonder and made my truck a LOT more functional. Great to find a fellow 1st gen truck in Jax. Cant say thanks enough to justinfonder. If anyone is passing through send me a PM and we can meet up. I enjoyed learning about these ole trucks.

:grin2:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
In my experience those aftermarket cables tend to have poorly crimped ends making lots of resistance. I cut them off and crimp new ends on.

Also the aftermarket battery terminal clamps usually make poor connection with the main starter cable. I like to crimp an actual end onto the cable then bolt that to the clamp.

Check is simple, load the circuits and feel if the connection gets warm. Careful they can get hot!

Otherwise looks good!

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my experience those aftermarket cables tend to have poorly crimped ends making lots of resistance. I cut them off and crimp new ends on.

Also the aftermarket battery terminal clamps usually make poor connection with the main starter cable. I like to crimp an actual end onto the cable then bolt that to the clamp.

Check is simple, load the circuits and feel if the connection gets warm. Careful they can get hot!

Otherwise looks good!
The owner is well aware of the short comings of that clamp style battery cable end. I imagine he'll be addressing it sooner than later. I'll throw an ohm meter on the feed wire and see what's happening but I doubt it will be an issue.

If I may speak for the owner, the truck is a work in progress and he's doing things right, but not all things have been addressed yet. Gonna be a clean, slick 1st gen when it's all said and done!

Reactions: 1992d250boss

·
Registered
624 Posts

Otherwise looks good!
there is a battery shop near me that makes up really nice cables for a fraction fof auto parts stores. Just something to look into.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
That's a clean looking setup. Well done Justin.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yea I'm looking for a local battery shop right now that can make me a good set. I would like to have the POS cable with a 6ga coming off of it straight to the new fuse box. That would look really clean and keep the terminals from getting cluttered.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That's a clean looking setup. Well done Justin.
Ditto :thumbup:
I want to do something similar to my truck after I get the auto tranny to bolt-action tranny swap done on my truck this spring.

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
Ditto :thumbup:
I want to do something similar to my truck after I get the auto tranny to bolt-action tranny swap done on my truck this spring.
Ha!!!! Love the auto to bolt action ref. My two major hobbies in life are cars/trucks and guns.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Very nice job. Care to share where the block came from. If you don't want to post would you send it to me via pm.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 62fmw

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice job. Care to share where the block came from. If you don't want to post would you send it to me via pm.

haha, i don't care man, i'm here to help people. no squirrel stuff in this garage. it's from blue sea systems.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha!!!! Love the auto to bolt action ref. My two major hobbies in life are cars/trucks and guns.
guns are scary. i thought this interwebs was a safe space?

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Looks awesome, Justin. I'm doing that one of these days... (writes it on the bottom of the list)

I'm sure I'll end up waiting until they start giving me trouble.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks awesome, Justin. I'm doing that one of these days... (writes it on the bottom of the list)

I'm sure I'll end up waiting until they start giving me trouble.
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is, right!?

Reactions: WillM

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ha that's my moto. I have done that to myself a couple of times before.

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Blue Sea Systems 7748 SafetyHub 150 Fuse Block

Any good boat supply house should have them.
well they're on back order even from blue sea systems. amazon as well. i contacted another website that had them for cheaper than amazon and they too said they're on back order. I know Boss had his backordered a couple weeks from Blue Sea.

West Marine is a marine supply company around here that carries Blue Sea products, they were out as well.

i guess it's a good product. lol

1 - 20 of 46 Posts