Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just filled up the truck last night ,well pump had diesel on 1 side and furnace oilon the other ,well guess which one i grabbed.Question is what will happen ,i drove home it kinda of smoked a little but i was told theres not much difference between the two ............what should i do

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Your truck will be fine it just has some more sulfer in it. My truck actually ran better on it. just dont get caught by Departmaent of Transportation, they are strict out here in Delaware. My buddy just got his tank checked in his 05 cummins, just cause he had a transfer tank in the back and got busted!!!:$:$23,000 fine and that is no typo $23,000. Good luck

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
#2 fuel is #2 fuel. Offroad #2 (furnace oil) has 500ppm sulfur, highway diesel has 15ppm sulfur. You'll get slightly better performance and slightly better mileage as the higher sulfur fuel has more paraffin in it which adds both power and lubricity.

Shame there isn't a filter or some other method to remove the red dye.. You will have pink fuel for the next 3 or 4 fillups.

Ops

·
Registered
205 Posts
Change the filter again... a lot of junk in home heating oil.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I used to burn about 4000 gallons of "heating oil" (offroad diesel) in my equipment every year, and the real issue is whether it's kerosene heating oil or red died. A mix of either should be fine, but I would hesitate to run kerosene regularly due to the lack of lubricity. I'd be pretty bent if my red diesel was contaminated. Course, there's also FARM diesel. You get followed by a cloud of acid rain running THAT stuff, and you have to change your oil more frequently to make up for the ph change of your oil.

In short, you got nothing to worry about unless it is non dyed kerosene, and your tank was empty, or the 'man catches you shirking road tax.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts