Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
F250 w 1st gen 12v
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FNG here. In the process of having a 1st gen swapped into my 2005 F250 (no rust, yadda yaddda Ford interiors....). The 6.0 (6.0ooooo no) needed an overhaul at 280K miles (headgasket, probably a few glow plugs, one injector sounded a bit off ...) and my mechanic talked me into swapping in a 12v for a few thousand more that the needed overhaul. Had a sweet 7.3 who'se body rusted out from under it (they use a mix of battery acid and dragon piss on the roads up in Maine) with little problems.Cost savigs over time [insert 'I'm so cheap' joke here] from nearly doubling mileage to a new water pump costing $250 to replace and not >$1,000 in the 6.0 should more than make up the difference over time. Plus, driving the iconic 12v. And moved to mid-Florida.

He was able to buy a 12v w the tranny attached. I forgot which tranny, but it is getting its own overhaul (all the plastic pieces replaced w metal etc) for reliability.

Looking at which upgrades for the soon to be rebuilt engine. My goal is more stability than power but enough power to be fun in my daily driver. I do minimum towing - a 6,000 lb camper 1 - 2 a year (may inicrease given the better engine) and rare large homeowner loads (a pallet of sod or flooring). Usually just like having the F250 wrapped around me and mine cause the drivers here in mid-Florida suck. So in general, looking to keep the power 500hp or less. My reading suggests that when you start pushing more than that, lots more and more expensive upgrades are need. As it stands, with planed upgrades, my mechanic suggested running minimally 35's and 37's to better manage the torque....

I hope to get the basics down by reading more here,,, upgrade the things that would be $$$ to ugrade later. Like valve springs. Looking at the '3200 rpm' rather than the '4,000' rpm... to fire ring or not to fire ring ... and leave upgrades that can be done after the engine is built without tearining it down for later when my budget has recovered a bit. OK, alot.

And, lol, can't wait to get back on the Ford BB and say bye bye to all the 6.0 problems....

·
Super Moderator
24,615 Posts
I moved this to the Conversion Section, just keep asking your questions and posting pictures on this Thread so it's your build.

There are several other Ford swaps here also so be sure to check them out for ideas.

Reactions: tryNto

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
to fire ring or not to fire ring
At the power level you’re talking about, you don’t even need O-rings, much less fire rings.

If you’re going to have the head off anyway, just make sure both the head and block decks are flat, use a good head gasket, and a set of arp studs. Nothing else is needed ( its even arguable if the studs are needed for that matter)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts