Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Full 48Re Transmission rebuild

59871 Views 14 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  blj184
Hello All! Brand new to the forum. Iv'e been running a stock 48RE in my 2004 Dodge Cummins for a while now. Iv'e got all the upgrades listed below, the transmission hast went out yet, but i cant stomp it all the way to the floor without it slipping. I can roll into it no problem, but i know the motor and my upgrades can deliver more power to the ground if i rebuild it. What i dont know is (WHAT) i need to buy, and (WHERE) to buy the parts from, dont laugh but i dont want to spend over 3 grand in a rebuild. But I do want to make my tranny bullet proof. Any Suggestions? Any thoughts and input is appreciated.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
376 Posts
Bulletproof and <$3000 seem to be mutually exclusive as far as I've looked. You can do smaller things to make it better, but if you want it bulletproof you're going to have to spend more than that... maybe we have different ides of what bulletproof means though :confused013:

· Registered
254 Posts
Goerend Bros, HTS Trans, DTT, NADP, .... ATS...

I hate to be a pessimist, but after pricing them out for myself - 3K isn't going to do 'bullet proof'. Dont get me wrong i think you can get some good gear for that (3K), but.........well, just go have a lookie-loo....

· Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well maybe I overdid it By saying bullet proof. I just want a tranny rebuild that will handle those mods in my sig. I dont even know what numbers im pushing. i can roll into it but if i gun it without letting up the tranny will slip. I want to be able to stop that. I want to go gear for Gear with no slipping. I dont race, i just wanna go light to light, and future mods will be an intake manifold and a boost fooler and thats it.

· Registered
1,031 Posts
Well maybe I overdid it By saying bullet proof. I just want a tranny rebuild that will handle those mods in my sig. I dont even know what numbers im pushing. i can roll into it but if i gun it without letting up the tranny will slip. I want to be able to stop that. I want to go gear for Gear with no slipping. I dont race, i just wanna go light to light, and future mods will be an intake manifold and a boost fooler and thats it.
garanteed those wont be your last mods cause it never ends now ur hooked lol so get one that really is bullet proof

· Registered
474 Posts
Goerend is the way to go. Input, flex plate, trip disk TC, VB, strap and anchor will set you back 3K. You will be good to go with that setup. The only thing to add for 6-7hundred hp would be an output shaft. You really dont need much more than that, and an output only if you are doing boosted launches or pulling.

· Registered
29 Posts
Don't sell yourself short on a tranny just save your money and when the stock tranny craps out get a full billit top of the line transmission I personally have had great luck with my ATS stage 6 but there are a couple other good trannys out there. To do the tranny now and only spend 3 grand would be wasteing your money and if your gonna do that you can just mail me a check and I'll get a turbo and some bigger sticks then at least your hard earned cash will have done somebody some good.The fact of the matter is your not gonna stop adding power to your truck because it's easy and your gonna get addicted to doing so so just buy one tranny that is good no matter what you do and have fun.:headbang:

· Registered
474 Posts
Do the work yourself, spend half the money, and learn more about the truck so you grow to respect it. There are some great guys on here and in the transmission field that will help you with any questions. My .02 is Dave Goerend is number one in customer service.

· Registered
597 Posts
billet input, flexplate, triple disk conv and valve body mine was guaranteed to hold 750 hp except the output and inter shafts the output can be chaged later and will not break other stuff like the input will if it snaps

· Registered
220 Posts
RDP in ohio has the best power holding trans out there. And prolly the cheapest. Karl builds over a hundred dodge trannys a year, builds them to fit your truck and mods. (330)-624-7000

Reactions: tyler5904

· Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im really not going to add anymore, I might in the distant future but not now. 1) I Dont have the money, and 2) messing my motor up scares me i have no idea what its doing at all with the current mods. I need to get gauges thats my next upgrade. Then an intake manifold and a Boost fooler.

· Registered
1,158 Posts
I have a goerand bros transmission, will every upgrade in the book except for billet intermediate and output for 2850 installed. The key is to find a reliable but inexpensive builder.

· Registered
466 Posts
so im in the market 4 a new trans all, my guestion is if i order a new triple disc convertor and input shaft and after market trans pan with good relieable trans rebuilder guy will that hold up to 800 hp i have no need 2 or want 2 ever build the motor over 700hp and in the future im going 2 build a stocker/S400 with 90hp injectors, is there anything else that i really need 2 buy 4 the rebuild?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.