Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When are you suppose to drain it ? When you flip the lever do u just let it drain for a second or intell its done ???:w:

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
When are you suppose to drain it ? When you flip the lever do u just let it drain for a second or intell its done ???:w:
I personally haven't done mine in a while...which reminds me I really should..but the owners manual says to do it when the engine is cold..maybe first thing in the morning...that way the water and fuel have completely separated...then you just lift the release lever until you don't see any water coming out..only fuel...I do it into a bottle so I can see when it changes over...haven't really had much water ever come out though, so I guess that's a good thing

·
Registered
151 Posts
same here, never had much water, if any come out

·
Registered
93 Posts
filter change = completely drain

If you are changing or removing your fuel filter you want to completely drain the filter canister. That way you minimize the amount of UNfiltered fuel getting past your filter when you install it. I don't think there is a filter between your fuel filter canister and your injection pump. It doesn't take much to damage your injection pump or injectors, just one chunk of debris.

I get about 22 ounces of fuel out of my filter so you need at least a 24 ounce bottle to hold it all when you drain it.

If you are just checking for water or debris without changing the filter you just need to drain a couple of ounces out.

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,021 Posts
I just drain it out on the ground until its empty and close the valve and away I go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts