Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel and have a kind of strange situation.

I noticed that about 1 minute after starting up the truck, I could smell rubber burning.

Upon close inspection, I found that the smoke was coming from the top of the fuel heater. This is where the temperature sensor is located.

I disconnected the wires to the heater and no smoke.

I then plugged the heater back in and it started smoking again.

I then attempted to pull out the temperature sensor, but it is either stuck or isn't meant to be removed from the socket.

Finally, I slid the grommet out of the temperature sensor socket and the smoke stopped.

I can't figure out what is going on here, but I am considering replacing the temperature sensor located on top of the heater.

My question is: Is there a part number for this sensor? Or do I have to replace the whole heater?

Thanks,

Alan

·
Ontario Chapter VP
905 Posts
The heater itself is a known problem, famous for shorting out and causing air leaks and such. You don't even need it.
Take it out, and while you're at it, clean the pre-filter as well.

Fuel Pre-Filter Cleaning on Ram/Cummins

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

I was wondering how important the heater is. Obviously, it is not needing when temperatures are warm, but what about winter?

Does the fact that diesel fuel has winter agents in it to prevent jelling negate the use of the heater in the first place?

Alan

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The fuel heater would be worthless even if you lived in Alaska. If the sensor is smoking then something is stuck (probably the fuel heater relay) and the fuel heater is most likely burned up. Email me at [email protected] for my write up on 12 valve fuel system, how it works and how to fix it. The write up had pictures of the fuel heater problem and instructions about how to remove it.

·
Ontario Chapter VP
905 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I was wondering how important the heater is. Obviously, it is not needing when temperatures are warm, but what about winter?

Does the fact that diesel fuel has winter agents in it to prevent jelling negate the use of the heater in the first place?

Alan
I live in Canada, and have never had a problem starting the monster. And we're talking up to -40 degrees celsius, not sure what that is farenheit, but it's damn chilly

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
-40 is -40 regardless of which scale you are using. That's where the scales cross.

·
Ontario Chapter VP
905 Posts
-40 is -40 regardless of which scale you are using. That's where the scales cross.
:rof

Right on, thanks for the info! :thumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts