Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a fuel tank for my 89 D350 my question is are the tanks compatible off of a gas job, also does anyone have one they want to get rid of??

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I would not use one off of a gasser. They do not seal as well as a diesel tank, and you might start having air and pressure problems. Plus most diesel tanks are a little larger. Suck some air into your fuel lines and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
My main tank is a gasser Ramcharger tank.

The pick-ups are different; they're smaller, I don't know if they're shaped different too. I don't know about a difference in sealing, doesn't seem to me like that'd be worth much. They don't fill up as fast due to the smaller vent.

I have no problem with mine. I've had air leaks, but I managed to fix all of those without redoing the tank, so I don't think they were the tank's doing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well all ide really need to do is pressureize the tank and watch to see if you lose pressure and then located the holes with some soapy water or windex and then patch them before i install the tank, im gonna have the flatbed off and im not in a rush so i will do it right before i install it, did the ramcharger fit directly in using the stock ram straps, also did you use a diesel or gas sending unit for the tank?

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Here's my "walk through", with a lot of ancillary worthless stuff that isn't relevant.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/8...ossibly-dumbest-question-ever-asked-here.html

The Ramcharger tank fits in where the spare tire goes, I don't know if saddle tanks off of gas pick-ups would be bolt-ins.
They should be. The tank on my '93 looks exactly like the ones on my '83 and '87....35 gal...I always thought that was large for a gasser, 'til I pulled the 318 and slid in a 440...
You can find these things at wrecking yards easily enough. The pickup and return lines ARE smaller though. But that's a good excuse to to redo the fuel system with 1/2" lines - esp since your bed will be off anyway.
If you look hard, you might even find an aux passenger side tank too. Unless you're running your exhaust out the back, then don't even consider it. I had one on my '83. My '83 had stacks that turned JUST in front of the tanks so it didn't matter.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what is the factory size lines on the cummins trucks mine have been re-done farm style, lol, so i have no clue what stcok size is, this is going on my flatbed D350 and im thinking of putting stacks on it but not sure yet either way some dimensions on the fuel lines and if they are steel or rubber would be great, thanx!!

·
Banned
400 Posts
5/16"

Factory fuel lines on the 1st Gen are 5/16" - same size Chrysler used on virtually everything they made from the late 60s to the mid 90s.

The pickup is even smaller than that. Necks down close to 1/4" in the basket fitting. I wouldn't worry about upgrading the fuel line unless you're going to addres that first. It is ridiculous that anyone would suggest installing 1/2" fuel line on one of these trucks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts