Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks for reading. I have a 2006 3500 series (not dually) Mega Cab With the 5.9

Anyways The owners manual says that the truck has a 34 gallon tank (maybe 35????) The dealer got my build sheet from Dodge and it says I have a 34 gallon tank, BUT I have never put more than 23 gallons in the tank, and it is on empty.

When I fill up, the computer says I have around 600 miles till empty but the best I have done is 414 miles. I thonk dodge had a option in 06 for a 23 gallon tank, but the dealer swears I have a 34. Has anyone else had this happen to them??? Besides running out of diesel is there any way to find out how large the tank is? Could the gauge be bad???

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Andy

·
Registered
419 Posts
maybe a broken fuel gauge???

·
Registered
669 Posts
My 06 has 128 litre tank, and that makes 28 gal, canadian, and 34 American gallons, sounds right to me, the duramax with the short box has a 25 gallon American tank, thats the only one ive heard of.

·
Registered
91 Posts
34 gallons and 600 miles is exactly what i use for my baseline when doing millage calculations.

if anything is bad on the truck i would guess its the sending unit/ fuel tank float. not sure how the 06s are setup.

when you fill up with 23 gallons is the low fuel light lit on the dash? or is the gauge needle just down around the E?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both the light and gauge say empty. When the computer gets down to about 60 miles the light comes on and when the computer gets down to about 40 the thing flashes "low fuel" And the gauge is right there on "e"

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
658 Posts
Both the light and gauge say empty. When the computer gets down to about 60 miles the light comes on and when the computer gets down to about 40 the thing flashes "low fuel" And the gauge is right there on "e"

Thanks
Andy
Hmmm... next time it gets really low, try tapping the tank to see if you think it is really empty or if the guage is lying.
:D

·
Registered
519 Posts
unfortunately the tanks are plastic so you are not going to hear much. Measure the length and height and I will try and do the same to compare. I definately have a 34

·
Registered
508 Posts
Depends on what size bed you have and cab configuration. Short beds generally have a 34 gal. tank while the long beds have a 35 gal. tank.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the 34 gal tank in my 04 and have never put more than 29.4 in and that was with the light flashing. Take a look in your owners manual. Mine says that the system is calibrated to come on at 29.5 so you have a safety cushion. I suspect that yours is similar and your sending unit is a little off. If so, an 06 should be under warrantee and you can let the dealer fix it. Jeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello and thanks for all the replies

I measured the tank and it is about 64x14x15 I calculated this size to be about 50 gallons. But it was not perfectly shaped. It must be a 34!!!

The truck has a short bed, but is the mega cab. It is my understanding that they use the same frame on those as they do on a quad cab with a full size bed?

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yep, my manual says 34 gals, but when mine gets down to 1/8 of a tank, the most I can get in it is about 23 gals. I have heard that it can be an issue with the vent tube, not sure though.

·
Substation Operator
1,152 Posts
When I get down to 1/8th, I'll fill up to the top of the filler neck with 32gallons

1 - 12 of 12 Posts