Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a freak moment when i thought my VP had died i realized that the fuel gauge wasn't being honest with me and my truck had ran out of fuel at a quarter of a tank. Well now a few months later i am plaged with a fuel light and a gauge that constantly reads empty unless the tank has more than 20gals in it. So i decided its time to replace the fuel sending unit but i ran into a problem. Can the tank be removed from under the truck? It seems like the strap bolts can only be accessed on the one side farthest from the frame rail. I wanted to remove the bed but this is going to be quite the ordeal, the truck has a fold down gooseneck hitch that the previous owner tig welded to the bed sheetmetal. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes, unhook everything from the top of the tank, get 2 jack stand put them up to the tank and a jack, remove the bolts for the tank straps (1 bolt for ea strap) flod the straps down and you will see how they come off the frame, get a buddy to steady the tank and slowly lower it.:thumbsup

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bobdodge, will give that a try. It will be nice not to watch the odometer for fillups.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I did it the easy way...

I unhooked the fuel line from the stock fuel filter and routed in to fuel cans. The bumped the starter and pump the tank dry.

Then drop the tank. Ity was rather easy to do by myself with out a bunch of straps and jack stands...:thumbsup

(My install of the draw straw...)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts