Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

What fuel system would/do you use?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so the next mod for the truck is upgrading the fuel system, mainly for better filtration, but I also want to pre-plan to handle future power mods while I am at it.

The issue I am running acrossed while researching is so many guys have so many different setups and all stand behind what they run. So I figured I would create a poll and see what the majority thinks I should look into.

Please post up your experiances with your choice and maybe what you would have done differently, any feedback is welcome.

*** EDIT ***

Also, you can select more than one responce, for example if you like an out of the box FASS and a sump, you can select both choices...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have what I guess would be called the basic fass 150 system. It doesn't have the filter/water separator set up. Which is the only thing I wish I would have done differently. Fass and airdog both make good products from what I've heard. I haven't had any trouble with mine.

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
Raptor 150 with GDPs dual filter(2 micron filter and 20mic water seperator) and I keep my stock filter bowl with a baldwin PF7977 5mic filter. Pretty much the best filtration set up you can get but with the 150 pump itll still flow plenty of fuel for whatever hp you want.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
I have the Raptor 100.. It doesnt have a separator for water or extra filters, which i wish i would've gone with.. but i guess i can add that later.

It is a great pump.. quiet and performs pretty well for my setup and easy instal. The Fass and Airdog are great pumps too, havent heard too many problems with them.

·
Hootie Hooo!!!
1,139 Posts
Fass here going through the stock filter housing :thumbsup: I do use different filter though than what the Fass came with...in order for better filtration and water separation :thumbsup:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any other feedback as to what you guys use/suggest?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Airdog 150 with fleetguard 2micron filter, vulcan drawstraw, 1/2 in line straight to cp3

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Raptor 150 with GDPs dual filter(2 micron filter and 20mic water seperator) and I keep my stock filter bowl with a baldwin PF7977 5mic filter. Pretty much the best filtration set up you can get but with the 150 pump itll still flow plenty of fuel for whatever hp you want.
:agree2: Best setup you can do IMO

Reactions: CalebZ400

·
Registered
46 Posts
Airdog II 100 DF

I am very happy with my Airdog II 100. Supossed to be good to 550-600 HP, which is more than I'll ever make. My truck didnt have an in tank lift pump so I didnt have to install a drawstraw or even drop the tank at all. Ive got it plumbed through the factory filter housing to have two water separators, and a fuel heater (which may or may not be of any advantage). If I ever need the maximum flow I can easily bypass the stock filter housing again:thumbsup:.

·
Registered
587 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Problem with the raptor pumps is they don't remove the air from the fuel.
I wonder how important air seperation actually is, there are many high horsepower trucks running without it. When I get some change for a lift pump, i'll probably spend my 5-600 on a draw straw, stainless braided line from tank to cp3, a walbro 392 or two, and a cat filtration setup. I'll be getting better filtration, a cheap and easy to replace/obtain pump, and all stainless line for the price of an airdog/fass

*edit*
Something like this..

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
I agree. With an aftermarket fuel/water seperator and 2micron filter after the lift pump its doing better filtration than the filters available for the airdog. Its not the pump that removes the air its the filters anyhow

·
Registered
587 Posts
I agree. With an aftermarket fuel/water seperator and 2micron filter after the lift pump its doing better filtration than the filters available for the airdog. Its not the pump that removes the air its the filters anyhow
So the filters remove the air??? Where does the air escape? Or do the filters store it? Lol

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
AirDog Diesel Fuel Systems, Fuel Air Separation Systems the filters on the airdog remove the air and then there is the return line back to the tank for the air from one of the filters. So the filter is what removes the air not the pump. But the gdp 2mic set up and raptor or similar wont remove the air from the fuel since it isnt designed to do that.

on edit: I should have put a gap or specified more clearly in my original filter air statement :doh:

·
Registered
587 Posts
That is one reason I changed out my walbro for an airdog. The other reason being I can regulate the pressure by changing springs. The 165 can be adjusted simply by turning a screw.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, so it looks like AirDog is in the lead, but I have heard that their filters aren't the best, is that hype by other manufacturers or are they OK, I also see that some people that selected the Airdog also selected adding the drawstraw, is this with mods to the factory bucket or the seperate hole method? I might just get an AD-II and be done with it, but I wanted to figure out what would be best since I have already replaced 7 (all 6, 2 years ago, April before last, then 1 more just a few months ago) and don't want to have to keep replacing them due to poor filtration.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I ran DC fleetgaurd 7mic filters and changed every 10,000mi. Motor started missing at 92,000mi. Got a long block and a set of remans from DC. Installed a FASS150/95 and a GDP filter housing delete with a 1R-0749 in its place. I got over 260,000mi out of this set of inj. So I would say the extra filtration makes a difference.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I plan to go with AirDog 100 or 150 and substitute the filters with Donaldson P551315 (3micron) and Baldwin BF1275 (99% free water / 96.5% emulsified). This is the best self-contained setup that I've been able to achieve. I still plan to run through the stock canister with a Baldwin PF7977 but this could be deleted if you prefer.

This achieves:

- Nearly 2 micron absolute (3u absolute single pass per J1985) with good flow
- Good pump
- Air separation FWIW
- Water separation pre-pump (before the water is emulsified by the pump)
- With the constant bypass, fuel gets multi-pass filtering

This could be a self contained solution with 2 total filters if you really wanted to delete the factory canister.

You can always add the additional pre-CP3 1R-0750 2 micron kit but it is questionable if this has better filtration than the Donaldson.

See http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/pureflow-airdog/295824-may-have-found-3um-absolute-filter-airdogs-11.html

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've got the FASS 150 and I love it. Keeps up with my fueling needs...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts