Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i have heard good and bad for both. What are your guys first hand experience on these fuel systems. I have read the Airdogs are good pumps but the filters are not up to specs. They have decent filtration but lack in water seperation. This is going on a CR so this is a must. I have heard on the FASS you can get pretty much any filter of your choice to fit but the Airdog filters are limited because of the threads? Opinions?:confused013:

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Sounds like you've been reading up on 'em. The only other thing is the price difference. I'm considering just buying a pump, drawstraw, bigline kit, and running it through the stock filter. Then possibly installing a CAT 2 micron filter after the stock filter.

But those plans are on hold until after the tranny is taken care of.:banghead:

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have installed over 30 of the fass systems and only one come back with the pump out on it and they over night us one

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like my FASS 150/150, its not too loud and been runnin over a year problem free. I dont know how many filter options you have on the other models, FASS only lists a filter reference for the 150 series tho... FASS - Fuel Air Separation System - fassride.com

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
i am on my 3rd airdog under warrenty....if i had it to choose again i would go with something diff.

·
Premium Member
7,010 Posts
i am on my 3rd airdog under warrenty....if i had it to choose again i would go with something diff.
Didn't Pure Flow test the units that you sent back and they were perfectly fine!!!???

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have no experience with FASS however I do have an Air Dog 100 installed-great product I noticed higher rail pressure throughout all rpm ranges as opposed to the OEM lift pump

·
Registered
97 Posts
Alright i have heard good and bad for both. What are your guys first hand experience on these fuel systems. I have read the Airdogs are good pumps but the filters are not up to specs. They have decent filtration but lack in water seperation. This is going on a CR so this is a must. I have heard on the FASS you can get pretty much any filter of your choice to fit but the Airdog filters are limited because of the threads? Opinions?:confused013:
I have a Fass system over 2 years now, no problems. . .I believe most of the problems people have are due to install.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a Fass system over 2 years now, no problems. . .I believe most of the problems people have are due to install.
I agree when installed correctly there are no problems.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the input. Im not really concerned about the pump unit itself but rather the avaiability of filters. I know if something goes wrong im sure that both manufacturers would warranty their products. I am more interested in the filtration issues. Mainly the smallest micron filter with a good water seperation. % absolute. I have heard airdog does not have a water seperation filter that meets the specs of the CR components.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Ive had a Fass system on my truck for a couple years now. Ive never had any trouble. The only thing that has ever happened was I had the small inline filter get gelled up once when it was really cold outside(-10 or so), but that was probably due to low quality fuel.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I am the one that brought up the lack of f/w separation issues...

The AD doesn't meet it and because of the thread size there is only one other f/w sep that fits. It gets you closer to the OE spec (OE is 95% free and emulsified). The OE AD filter is 50% free and 0% emulsified, the secondary is 90% free and emulsified. It would be up to the AD owner to switch and check pressure issues.

The FASS f/w sep (for the 150, IIRC the 95 uses the same filter as the AD) on the 150 is the standard 1-14 threads, so you have your pick of some excellend f/w sep filters.

As far as final filtration the AD can only go to 5um absolute. The FASS 150 looks like it uses 1 1/2-16 threads, and I haven't done any research on that thread size..

I know the best fuel filters available are the Cat 1R series which use 1-14 threads and are 2um absolute.

Another issue is flow, on the AD the filters aren't rated for anywhere near the flow the pump is capable of. The f/w sep is only rated for 19GPH. I haven't researched this on the FASS yet.

But if air separation is something you want I would get a FASS 150, put a BF1212 (20um absolute, 4um nominal 95% free and emulsified removal) or a FS1000 (10um absolute, 85% 5um and 95% free and emulsified removal) then a HF6607 and finally a Cat 1R-0750 plumbed between the FASS and the CP3.. This would give you the needed f/w separation and the best final filtration available... And all the filters I listed are good for 90GPH+ of fuel use.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i heard that fass used to be a father/son business then they split up and the son now does air dog and the dad owns fass, let me know if anyone else heard this.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am the one that brought up the lack of f/w separation issues...

The AD doesn't meet it and because of the thread size there is only one other f/w sep that fits. It gets you closer to the OE spec (OE is 95% free and emulsified). The OE AD filter is 50% free and 0% emulsified, the secondary is 90% free and emulsified. It would be up to the AD owner to switch and check pressure issues.

The FASS f/w sep (for the 150, IIRC the 95 uses the same filter as the AD) on the 150 is the standard 1-14 threads, so you have your pick of some excellend f/w sep filters.

As far as final filtration the AD can only go to 5um absolute. The FASS 150 looks like it uses 1 1/2-16 threads, and I haven't done any research on that thread size..

I know the best fuel filters available are the Cat 1R series which use 1-14 threads and are 2um absolute.

Another issue is flow, on the AD the filters aren't rated for anywhere near the flow the pump is capable of. The f/w sep is only rated for 19GPH. I haven't researched this on the FASS yet.

But if air separation is something you want I would get a FASS 150, put a BF1212 (20um absolute, 4um nominal 95% free and emulsified removal) or a FS1000 (10um absolute, 85% 5um and 95% free and emulsified removal) then a HF6607 and finally a Cat 1R-0750 plumbed between the FASS and the CP3.. This would give you the needed f/w separation and the best final filtration available... And all the filters I listed are good for 90GPH+ of fuel use.
this is exactly what i was looking for. I remember viewing this thread and this is where i was doing most of my reading. Thanks for the clarification, this is the reason i was leaning towards the Fass over the AD. I was just seeing if anyone had found any better filters for the AD yet. Thanks man :yourock: where would you get something like the Cat 1r-0750 to plumb between the pump and cp3?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
i heard that fass used to be a father/son business then they split up and the son now does air dog and the dad owns fass, let me know if anyone else heard this.
Many stories on what happened between the two:confused013:, I heard the father (charlie) made the first system but didn't want to market it, the son (brad) took off with it, got a patent and started fass, the father started pureflow tech. (airdog) after seeing how people where buying fass systems left and right, charlie tried to sue cause he made it but lost in court.

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Didn't Pure Flow test the units that you sent back and they were perfectly fine!!!???
the second one they say they did...the first one was all jacked....it didnt work from the start...the motor would not turn an was melting wires an blowing fuses.... i still have the 3rd one on my truck an they wont do anything...so im just gonna sell it. like i said befor...this one has never left me stranded but im not happy with the product.....way to loud for my taste an makes all kinds of weird noises that you can hear at stop lights ect....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts